You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 31st 2012, 11:16pm

Foreclosed Home, Dog Digging, What to do

We just moved into a new home which was previously a foreclosure- so it sat for a long while. It's now time to take a look at the sprinkler system, so I'm starting the process of learning about what to do to get it started. The biggest and first problem is that about a month ago, our new dog dug a hole in the backyard which exposed these wires (which I can only assume is to the sprinkler system) , and she bit them. A couple questions:
1- Do I need to repair the wires if I only intend to use the front yard sprinklers? (And should I make sure they're repaired before I go testing things out and turning on the water?)
2- Can I simply just splice the wires or should I call a professional (are the wires needing to be replaced completely?)

My husband is a little more technically minded than I am, but I would really love to learn to set and diagnose the sprinklers on my own since the lawn and garden is my baby this year. Any help would be appreciated!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 10:01am

You need to find a replacement valve box with a more secure lid, preferably one that can be bolted closed. The wires should restored to brand-new perfection. No exposed copper. Waterproof connectors. No electrical tape.

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 8:52am

MrsFlipFlops,
If you know you are never going to use these zones you could go without repairing these wires.
You should also disconnect them from the controller. If you want to just abandon them, that is.
But don't. They are easy to fix and as some point down the line you will want them. Not using them now doesn't mean you won't later. The longer you wait the bigger problem you will have.
Hopefully the wires will not need a complete replacement. It's laborious and expensive. Splicing them is simple and something you can do. With a little care you can have an excellent, long lasting connection.

As mentioned earlier you need waterproof connectors. Try THESE or THESE. As mentioned, no electrical tape.
Get some wire strippers like THIS . Makes life easier.

MOST IMPORTANT: come back here with any questions/problems. People will be glad to help.
Definitely let us know how it works out.