You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 3:47am

Hunter ICC - even when sprinkler is turned off, zones sprinkle a bit in order, unless I disconnect power

I have a Hunter ICC controller with 32 zones. Whenever there is power to the system, even if I have turned the system to "off", it will sprinkle its way through all 32 zones every day. Each zone sprinkles for a very short duration - nothing near the 20 - 30 minutes that are programmed for each zone - I haven't timed it - but maybe a minute or so. The programming is fine (one start time on the days it is supposed to sprinkle). I have even replaced the front panel and one module (which controls zones 1 - 8 which was determined (by the local distributor) to be bad . I have just replaced that first module again - 5 months later, under warranty, in case that helps (one valve ran whenever the system was on, we changed valves - then determined power was getting to it unless I flipped the circuit breaker to off.) My sprinkler man thought the transformer felt hot - and he thought that the voltage going into the system was too high? - he had me have the electrician check the incoming voltage - which the electrician stated was 124.5 volts - and he said was fine. The new module fixed the valve that was constantly running, but the momentary sprinkling of all valves continues... Does anyone have any ideas. I don't like my vegetation being sprinkled in the hot daytime sun. Thank you for any and all help.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Isprinkle" (Apr 1st 2012, 8:49am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 9:57am

In general, the occurrence of watering when it is not wanted can be traced back to "operator error" and the additional watering programs that aren't noticed when looking at the controller. The ICC has four lettered programs, only one of which will display as you turn the dial to check information.

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 10:53am

To Wet_Boots: re operator error possibility

I knew that was a possibility, so I had checked this and so did the distributor... So that is not the problem. Also, it does this "quick run through" sprinkling even when the system is turned to OFF. Circuit breaker must be switched off to stop this. Any other ideas? Thanks, again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 11:36am

I have seen controllers of this "central dial" type fail to actually be off when the control is switched to off, but that was not a circuit malfunction. It was a problem with the central dial switch itself, and a bit of wiggling gets the thing to behave (something like the old TV sets required when the channel-changer dial switch was a bit wonky)

Your long-term problem here is that the ICC controller is headed out of production.

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 1:46pm

Yeah, when I got the new module yesterday, they informed me of the demise of the ICC. Back to the original problem - I think the controller is off when told to be off, since the scheduled waterings do not occur when I turn it to off - Just those darned "quick run through sprinklings" described. I know this situation sounds weird - the sprinkler man could not explain it - not the distributor - I'm just hoping someone here has some kind of explanation. Thanks again!

mrfixit

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 4:03pm

What you've described doesn't make sense. You've replaced the front panel so that should have taken care of any defects. You've replaced the brain.
I don't know what could cause this but let me grasp at straws here.
Have you ever programmed the test mode?

Test Program
The.ICC.allows.the.user.a.simplified.method.for.running.a.test.program.. This.feature.operates.each.station.in.numerical.sequence,.from.the.. lowest.to.the.highest..You.can.start.with.any.station..This.is.a.great. feature.to.check.the.operation.of.your.irrigation.system.
To.initiate.the.test.program:
1..Press.and.hold.the. .button..The.station.number.will.be.flashing.
2..Press.the. .or. .button.to.scroll.to.the.station.you.would.like.the.test. program.to.start.with..Use.the. .or. .button.to.set.the.run.time.up.to. 15.minutes..The.run.time.needs.to.be.entered.only.once.
3..After.a.2.second.pause,.the.test.program.will.begin.

Is the controller by chance plugged into the same outlet as the washing machine? That can cause problems. Possibly starting the test mode. I have no idea.

Again I haven't a clue. Maybe take out all of the modules. Reset everything. Unplug the controller, remove any batteries and reinstall the modules. It's important to unplug the controller before installing the modules.
Good luck!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 7:44pm

It was an early Hunter controller, the SRC, that came from the factory with a program C set for 2 minutes a zone, but no start times or watering days, so it never watered on its own, but sometimes, programming was changed by the homeowner and the 'test program' had start time(s) and watering days added.

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 9:03pm

To MrFixit

The controller is hard wired - so no washer plugged into same outlet. Tomorrow morning when it's light, I will go dismantle it all and see if that helps. I am aware of the test program, but am uncertain how it would begin on its own accord. I do understand this is strange - but I have been dealing with this for three years! Last year replaced the panel and the first module. First module again replaced two days ago. Will post what happens after I dismantle it. Of course, I will have to wait for the phantom quick sprinklings to occur. And I have to be watching out the window to catch it. So it may take me a couple of days.
Thanks to both of you who have posted.

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 9:57am

Well, smarter people than me are stumped and every idea I had you eliminated by changing the front panel.
This is gonna win 'weird problem of the day' award.

I have one question, just out of curiosity: when these mini-runs happen does the display indicate the zone number and that it is running?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 12:10pm

Even if a controller is hard-wired, what other devices are on the same circuit can be important. No motors, if at all possible.

Rate this thread