You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sahildpp

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 5:32pm

Raise anti-siphon valve 8 feet high

I want to correct the backflow problem (inherited) on one ASV that feeds the sprinklers on a slope. Since the ASV is adjacent to a wall in the backyard (visibility not an issue), I can raise it 8 feet high to clear the highest sprinkler by 6-8". Please advise if this is a good/practical solution. I am trying to avoid the cost of installing/maintaining the RPZ. Thank you.

Dilip

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 7:00pm

Go ahead. Just keep a ladder handy for servicing.

sahildpp

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 9:06am

Thank you. Should I use copper or pvc considering the sun exposure?

Dilip

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 9:13am

If you use PVC and it is not insulated you need to either wrap it or paint it to protect from UV rays.

Copper would be best. Make sure you brace it against the wall.

Send if picture if you can. I have an ongoing argument with someone who says no one ever really puts their backflows that high.

sahildpp

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 9:28am

Thank you all for the great advice. I will go with copper. I will post the pics when I am done.

Dilip

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 12:14pm

If you use PVC and it is not insulated you need to either wrap it or paint it to protect from UV rays.

Copper would be best. Make sure you brace it against the wall.

Send if picture if you can. I have an ongoing argument with someone who says no one ever really puts their backflows that high.
Gaze in amazement.....

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 1:06pm

How tall?
PVC?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 4:06pm

Very tall, and the height puts it clear of plantings and heads on an uphill slope, in a zone that was added years after the original system was installed with antisyphon valves about 6-7 feet lower. As dumb as it looks, it isn't very obtrusive from the point of view of casual observers, and the plumbing makes use of a deck that wraps around the house, to clear a driveway. (of course it's PVC, as is obvious from a close look at the vacuum breaker)

Rate this thread