You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mnest

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 4th 2012, 10:19am

backflow device for pool?

this may be a silly question, but do swimming pools need any sort of backflow device for their plumbing system?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 4th 2012, 10:47am

That depends on your location and the applicable codes. If there is a shutoff at the house that feeds an underground line to a typical spout under the diving board, an atmospheric vacuum breaker would work effectively, assuming there is no secondary shutoff at the spout itself.

Wednesday, April 4th 2012, 1:08pm

In our area (Houston Tx) backflows are required on all pools. I spot checked a couple of cities country wide and found they did also.

Some were very particular to type, some weren't. Need to call your local authorities.

mnest

Unregistered

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 8:31am

re:

thanks! we just moved to an old, 15+ house with a pool so i was wondering if it was up to date and ready to go. we live in houston, so i'm guessing since backflow device is required, it's already got one.

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 8:34am

Funny thing is I've seen pools with VERY small backflows. Don't know why.
Take a look around your pool pump and equipment.
If you had an inspection done on the house a licensed inspector would be required to tell you if you were missing one.

Enjoy the pool.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 10:34pm

In my area- They are required.

And the fact that pools use chemicals a Reduced Pressure Back Flow Assembly is required because this is the highest form of protection

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 6th 2012, 8:00am

The spout under the diving board is already an air break, which is as good as it gets, and nothing else is needed, but the line between that spout and the potable water is looked at separately.

Rate this thread