You are not logged in.

Ash

Unregistered

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 9:42am

Finding a leak... hole fills with water too fast to see..

So I have a leak in some of the pipes underneath one of the sprinkler heads. Two sets of pipes actually run through this area directly on top of one another (I think the one on top is delivering water for another zone - the one on bottom is part of the zone that is leaking). Some foundation work (root barrier) was put directly next to it and I'm sure the contractor busted part of the pipe when they were putting it in as I'm getting a big wet spot there when that zone of sprinkler is turned on.

I dug up the spot and found the pipes. I've created a fairly large hole, but as soon as I turn the sprinkler on in almost 5 seconds the hole is completely filled with water. I've tried several times to spot the leak but I just don't see it. Should I just keep digging a bigger hole so I can see the pipe easier? I know the leak is very close to that area, but given that there are two sets of pipe/a metal root barrier/ cluster of control wires and the fast flooding I just can't seem to find the leak. It is a pain to drain/wait for the water to dissipate - so I only really have one shot before I have to wait a long time to try again. Is there a better way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Ash

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 10:07am

Ash,
Anyway you can slow the flow? Partial open of the bleed screw or backflow or such?

You either dig a huge hole (no fun) , get a suction pump to pull as fast as the water comes in, or start feeling for the break (no fun either.)
I've done many a job where the leak was found by feel.

If you have an energetic helper you can get one of

these pumps and have them pump as water comes in.
With a slow enough flow it can keep things workable.

Ash

Unregistered

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 8:13pm

Thanks for the quick response! I looked for a valve for the sprinklers but couldn't find one. The valve for my main house water supply didn't cut off the sprinklers.

I solved it just now (hopefully... PVC glue is drying and it's getting dark... i'll test it tomorrow). For anyone that later reads this with a similar problem, this is how I ended up finding the hole:

1) I dug a deep hole in one spot by the PVC pipe. I made it large enough to fit a Solo Cup into.
2) I turned the sprinklers on. I then turned them off. The hole was quickly filled with water.
3) I then as quick as I could scooped the water out. A pump would have been ideal, but I didn't want to buy one just for this. This is where the single deep hole is important. As long as you can fit the cup in there scooping water isn't too hard.
4) Once the water level dropped below the leaking pipe, I examined the pipe for leaks. Since there is water still in the system it continues to leak out through the hole.

My leak happened to be on the bottom side bordering a massive tree root so I couldn't feel it out. I have a feeling that when they were cutting away the tree root for the barrier it vibrated up into the pipe and wore away a hole.

I cut away the pipe with a little mini hack saw - the kind that are so flimsy they're like a little toy. Made me wish I had one of those wire saws. I then put four 90 degree joints in the pipe. One of the 90 degree joints had a 1/2inch upwards for a sprinkler riser since I cut away the section with the sprinkler on it. Hopefully it will be good as new!

Also, to anyone laying a sprinkler system. Don't run them ontop of one another! It's a pain if you ever have to maintenance it. Run them side by side! A coworker of mine told me when he installed his own system he laid down spare sections of pipe plugged on each end between each riser so that when he had leaks later on he could just quickly swap sections without worrying about where the leak was (not a bad idea if you're doing it for yourself). You might never need to use it, but PVC isn't exactly very expensive for a nice backup plan in the future.

Hope that helps,
-Ash

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 10:45pm

Also, to anyone laying a sprinkler system. Don't run them ontop of one another! It's a pain if you ever have to maintenance it.
You might never need to use it, but PVC isn't exactly very expensive for a nice backup plan in the future.

Agreed.. When trenching, professionals should keep the pipe spacing within a trench of 1" and have no more then 3 pipes in a trench... As a repair aspect

Backup plans only last for so long as the person who installed it will tend to forget what he did exactly . Standard installation procedures are best to keep to

Friday, April 6th 2012, 8:33am

Glad you found it.
The bunching of pipes is common, especially on low ball jobs.
One other thing to remember though is that pipes do move. Ground shift and tree roots will push them different directions.
I bought an old house and one tree, which was not there when the irrigation was put in, had sprouted, grown to about 30 feet and the roots pulled the pipe from about 8" deep to above ground, sitting on top of the roots.

Hopefully by now you have found that the glue held.