You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

djarcuri

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 1:36pm

Two Zones Stuck Open?

I have a problem that appears to be two zones stuck in the open position. I can't get them shut off even with the controller off and unplugged. I have to turn the main water value off. I have located what I think is the right value and have taken it apart, cleaned it and put it back together with no luck. Based on what I have read elsewhere, I assumme I will have to replace the guts of the valve and see if that works. What is confusing me, is that I have eight zones but I am only aware of 4 valve boxes and 4 valves. Is this even possible or do I have to have eight valves buried somewhere? The value that I took apart is a Toro 254-06-04. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mrfixit

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 2:30pm

If you have 8 seperate sections that water then yes you have 8 valves. If only 4 run then yes you only have 4 valves.
You can always look at the controller to see how many wires are hooked up to it. That's not an exact science because sometimes there are wires hooked up that don't go anywhere but usually it will tell you.
Changing the diaphram on that valve might fix you up. You need to find the correct valve first.
I've seen that valve crack open a few times. That could cause what you've described.
It could be a stuck plunger inside the solenoid.
Since you have two valves at once going bad I would also suspect debris. Have you had any plumbing work done recently? Sometimes the plumbers get debris in the pipe and they mess up the valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 2:51pm

the Toro 254-06-04 valve has a flow control, so you can always throttle down a stuck valve

djarcuri

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 5:21pm

Thanks for the information so far. To answer some of the questions, I do have 8 zones that work (normally) and I have 8 wires connected to the controller. However, I did not isntall the system, so I don't know where the valves are located.
I did have some patio work done last year and one of the valves was moved, so that is the one I suspect is causing the problem. However, it did work last year after the patio work was complete, it starting giving me a problem when I closed the system in the fall.
One response says that the valve in questions has flow control so I can throttle it back. Please tell me how that is done. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 5:43pm

Three guesses where the flow control is, and the first two don't count :)

mrfixit

Sunday, April 8th 2012, 9:31pm

When they moved the valve they may have got debris in the line.

Rate this thread