You are not logged in.

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 3:48pm

Valves Spraying Water

I have three Rainbird model JTV valves hooked up to a drip system. The largest zone has about 25 dripper and low flow sprinklers. The problem is that when any of the zones come on, water sprays out of the valve. It does not seem to be coming from the solenoid but from what I assume to be the back flow preventer. One of the valves never fully closes unless I manually close the valve. I have very high water pressure and suspect that is the culprit. I've had to install flow valves on the downstream side of the valves in order to keep the water pressure from blowing apart the drip system. I can reduce the amount of water spray (at the valve) by reducing the incoming pressure (main flow valve) but if I reduce the pressure too much, the largest zone won't function at all. This is the third set of valves I've installed.

Anybody got any ideas?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 4:02pm

Install a pressure regulator before the drip zone valves.

mrfixit

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 7:59pm

Have you tried tightening the cap? I've seen what you've described with a RainBird valve on a dripline. The cap appeared to be tight but I turned it a bit farther and it stopped spraying water.

Try turning the flow control down as far as you can and have the drippers still working.

You may have to swap out the valve again to get it to shut off all the way. Don't use the same model valve whatever you do. Maybe spend the money, get a brass valve body and install a valve adapter. The Irritrol 2623DPR is a good choice.
Click Here

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 1:23pm

Install a pressure regulator before the drip zone valves.

Okay, I installed the pressure regulator, set it to 80psi and it still does it. Maybe not as badly but it still sends out enough water to fill a large mixing bowel in about 30 seconds.

I was wrong in my original post; the water is spraying out of the cap that has the solenoid and the manual control knobs. The cap is as tight as it is going to get.

Any other ideas?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dglass4321" (Apr 22nd 2012, 1:42pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 1:40pm

Drip should be regulated to 40 psi or less - the components in general aren't designed for more than 50 psi

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 1:53pm

Drip should be regulated to 40 psi or less - the components in general aren't designed for more than 50 psi
Thanks, but how does that effect the water spraying out of the valve solenoid? When I reduce the output pressure, the valve sprays more water.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 2:18pm

many valve solenoids now have an O-ring as a part of the manual operator, and they can sometimes leak - Rainbird solenoids have had this issue

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 2:22pm

I was typing it as you posted WetBoots!

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 2:25pm

The other option would be to inspect that the diaphragm is seated properly. The diaphragm is in fact the seal between the base and cap of every valve.
Make sure your mainline isn't pressurized when trying to tighten the cap. If your static pressure is greater than 80psi you wouldn't get the cap to budge at all.

Rate this thread