You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tc142

Unregistered

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 8:10pm

only one station working

I changed a sprinkler head today. Dug out around it, unscrewed the old one, cleared
the line using the Man/Adv on the timer, screwed the new one on, then went to
check the rotation and range. But after
all that I couldn’t get that station to turn back on. In fact, only one station would come on no
matter what I tried.

Any idea what could have happened. All stations worked, I screwed on the new
sprinkler head, and then only one station worked?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 8:47pm

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but if you used a shovel to dig up the sprinkler head.

You may have cut a wire or several wires that run through the path of the sprinkler head.

The good news is you know exactly where to dig. It may be something else, but it would be the first place to start.

Dig up the head and expand the digging a little bit and carefully.

Good Luck.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

tc142

Unregistered

Monday, April 16th 2012, 8:47am

That was the first thing I thought of, but then why would it have worked to let me flush the line out? I did my digging, took off the old head, flushed the line, screwed on the new head and then it stopped working?!?

Thanks for the response. I will look again, but just am not sure that is it.

Monday, April 16th 2012, 9:00am

Tc,
the fact that you could flush that zone does put a twist on it.
I have to agree with Todd. Only wiring or evil spirits can explain your problem.
Cutting the common would explain things. The zone that comes on could be before the cut.
Possibly you nicked the wiring and it held until you back filled and the pressure of the soil separated the wires.
Sure do want to hear what you find.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, April 16th 2012, 9:34am

Maybe you messed up the controller settings?

mrfixit

Monday, April 16th 2012, 3:56pm

I agree, sounds like a ground wire. Check the connections at the controller also. There could be two ground wires. Maybe one broke off. Also look at the valves. I know you just dug but it might be a fluke.

tc142

Unregistered

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 7:56am

I haven't been able to get back into this issue until today. I dug the sprinkler that I changed back up and found no cut wires. I do not think that is my issue. Here is what is going on.

I am able to get all stations to run manually until I get to this one particular station, then every time I try to manually advance, it just keeps running that station like it is stuck there or something. If I go back the next day, it is still stuck on that station, but if I wait two-three days it will work again on all stations until it gets back to that one station.

Also, I checked my wiring and it appears from looking at my book (Rainbird ESP 6TM) that I have wiring for a pump start. I have one lead going into the common, the other lead goes into station one, then a wire runs from station 1 to station 3 and from station 3 to station 5. This is confusing to me for a couple reasons. First of all, I have no pump. I run off the main water line. Secondly, I have six stations. When I run manually I get nothing on stations 2, 4 and 6. So I have to run through the stations twice to get all six to go.

Confused on many levels here guys, and as you can probably tell, I am a newbie with sprinkler systems. I live in a house that was built in the late 80's and I imagine the sprinkler systems was installed then. I know I could call a technician, but would really like to figure out how to get it working myself.

Any ideas?

mrfixit

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 3:01pm

What you have posted here today sounds nothing like your original post. You're not the only one confused. I highly suggest you call a guy.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 3:21pm

Zone Doublers!
Try this....From the controller, turn zone one on, check to see which zone is on. Turn zone one off. Turn zone one on again and check to see which zone is on. My guess is that you will see a different zone on.
Do not manually advance through the stations.

Monday, May 7th 2012, 9:58am

Sure does sound like a doubler. Sounds something like THIS, though many models are out there.