You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rblakenyc

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 18th 2012, 2:32pm

Found wiring and break in 15 mins for free

I tried starting my system last weekend and the controller seemed to be working fine but nothing happened. After studying posts here I realized that my wiring was probably cut when I had a generator installed a few months ago. I figured the path from the valves to the controller should be pretty much a straight line so I started digging, and then dug some more and then some more!

Feeling dejected I thought I might need to rent a wire detecter but then I recalled reading how to find a break in an underground dog fence. I reviewed the approach - google underground dog fence break - and sure enough it worked to connect my dog fence transmitter to my irrigation wire and use an am radio tuned to 600 to follow the wires by listening to the beeps. When the beeps stopped I figured I'd found my break. Sure enough, 2 minutes of digging I found the break within inches of where it was predicted to be! (and not near the generator but rather by a stump I'd had ground down.)

At first I figured I'd need to buy more cable to splice it back together but I realized I was lucky it occurred near a right-angle bend that I could short-cut in a way that gave me enough extra cable to wire it all back together!

Thanks to all here for their advice and now I'll go learn how to adjust the heads.

Rick

Wednesday, April 18th 2012, 2:48pm

Absolute proof positive that there is always some new way to do things.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Friday, April 20th 2012, 6:33pm

Neat trick! I think I'll hang on to Metrotech locator, though! :thumbup:

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 9:56am

Very ingenious, I must remember this trick as I am sure it will happen to me eventually.

Rate this thread