You are not logged in.

OhHelpMe

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 1:55pm

A valve for well water

I am trying to figure out from my neighbors what valves they have on their Hunter systems, but its hard between work scheduales. We are all on well water around here, and the water is semi-silty. None of us have filters except for the house because we would be cleaning them constantly with the fine silt, but at the same time, its such a small amount flowing right through everything because of the high flow.
I currently have (6) 5 yr old Toro valves, and 4 are bleeding, or wont shut off. I'd like to replace them since they are nothing but trouble, and the solenoids are not replaceable. They are also 3/4", so they are probably restricting alot of my water already since I only have 40-60psi, and 7gpm, 8gpm peak. Cleaned them many times, and have not helped. Diaphrams are fine and perfect shape too......
I am looking at Hunter 1" PGV or SRV valves. Jar top or regular? Which one? Rain Bird is not a big hit with me after installing 6 of there 5004 rotors, and having 4 of them leak at the seals. Same thing happened with there older 42-SA model. And not just me, but neighbors too....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 20th 2012, 10:08pm

If you run with silty water, all the equipment must take it into account. Dirty-water compatibility is everything, even if it costs serious money. Valves are the big expense. Look at Rainbird PESB scrubber valves. As for heads, the Rainbird Maxipaw impact heads endure cruddy water better than anything else you can easily find.

OhHelpMe

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 10:27pm

If you run with silty water, all the equipment must take it into account. Dirty-water compatibility is everything, even if it costs serious money. Valves are the big expense. Look at Rainbird PESB scrubber valves. As for heads, the Rainbird Maxipaw impact heads endure cruddy water better than anything else you can easily find.

Wow! I was trying to keep the cost under $150 for everything (new valves, box, and manifold fittings), but I would never guess that 1 valve would cost $70 8| I don't have $500 to drop right now, probably never for just irrigtion valves.
I have 5 Hunter PGP-ADJ and 13 PGP Ultra heads at the moment, and I've never had any problems with them thankfully. Thats what everyone has around here that seems to be popular. I only have to give a stray one a small shot of WD40 once in a while when it sticks because of our sandy soil.
I found out from my neighbor (same well aquafer, and conditions/pressure) that he has Hunter PGV valves for his 8 zone system. Are these good reliable valves?
Thanks. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 6:31am

Get a good 100 mesh strainer, and let it clean up the water. If you say it requires too much attention, I say that's too bad. Depending on the exact nature of the particles in the water, it might work to have a 60 mesh filter in series with the 100 mesh.

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 8:35am

I found out from my neighbor (same well aquafer, and conditions/pressure) that he has Hunter PGV valves for his 8 zone system. Are these good reliable valves?
PGVs are installed by the thousands. Very popular and reliable.
A scrubber valve would be best for the long run but money does figure into everything.
Good luck.