You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pinbill

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 8:48pm

Leaking Test Cocks and Cracked Canopy

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time using this forum. I went to turn on my system today and the canopy is cracked on my wilkins 720-a and both test cocks are leaking. The unit doesn't seem to be leaking. Does is seam strange that both test cocks would go bad at the same time. I messed with them a bunch but couldn't get them to stop. I don't know too much about sprinkler systems but the cracked canopy and the two leaking TCs might seem connected. The pressure of the system is 78 pounds. I am going to change the TCs and get a pressure reducer soon, but any other ideas would be great .

Thanks,

Bill

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 9:14pm

If you winterized the device according to mfr instructions, it should be fine today. If you sluffed it off, expect problem$ every year. The black plastic canopy on a 720 PVB is made of polycarbonate, also used for bulletproof windows.

pinbill

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 9:22pm

Thanks for the reply. A lawn service professional blew out the system last fall. It is not working correctly today, it might have gotten blown out too late or not been done right. Does both test cocks failing at the same time seem strange? Do you think the cracking canopy and leaking test cocks are symptoms of a bigger trouble in the back flow preventer. I really don't know too much about these systems. Any ideas would help, Thanks, Bill

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 6:22am

the only cracked canopy I ever saw on a 720 was because freezing water warped the inner brass cover underneath the canopy - If you replace the testcocks, the device may still be functional, but don't count on it.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 8:09am

Are you turning off the testcocks correctly? You may not just turn them clockwise to close. The screw slots often need to be horizontal to the ground, GENERALLY.

pinbill

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 3:01pm

I am sure I got the test cock to close fully. I guess I am going to order some new ones and find out what happens. Bill

pinbill

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 9:21pm

Got the system on tonight, just a small leak from the top of the back flow. I am going to rebuild it. Looks like the dripping from the test cocks was residual water from the initial turn on. Thanks for your posts. Bill

Rate this thread