You are not logged in.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Friday, November 23rd 2012, 8:52am

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy an Irrigation Caddy?

In my case, no. I already had the Ethernet controller and relay board that I use for other home automation projects. Net cost was just my time to write the scheduling software. The Ethernet controller is $79 and the relay board cost about $30 for components if I remember correctly.

Friday, November 23rd 2012, 9:50pm

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy an Irrigation Caddy?
I used an old surplus controller from where I work and I already had the software so, no, it wouldn't have been cheaper. These guys are right, no one would want to have a "sprinkler controller" like mine. It far to complicated for watering the lawn. I built mine just to see if I could, but I also made provisions for a quick change out if need be. My dad has two of the old Nelson EZ Pro Jr controllers. His grass is just as green as mine.

scercpio

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 12:18am

I'm a repairman. I repair sprinkler systems. I don't want anything to do with people's computers. Most pros feel the same way. If you want it go ahead and install it but don't call me to do any repairs on it.
--
What's wrong with it? I don't have a clue. They don't exist in my world.
I think you've got the wrong idea about IC. It doesn't need to be tethered to a computer in order to run or program. It just simply has a different interface than the "conventional" controller. You won't infect or harm any other computer. You can use any computer (or phone) to program it just like you would use your browser to participate in this forum or order stuff from the internet. In turns, it provides an easier and more powerful way to program a sprinkler system.

scercpio

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 12:20am

RedHead, CaptainSparrow,

What motivated you to build your own, instead of buying an existing one?

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 4:51am

RedHead, CaptainSparrow, What motivated you to build your own, instead of buying an existing one?
As I said, I just wanted to see if I could.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 7:15am

The equipment was already built from my home automation stuff. The software was all I needed to write. I'm not developer by trade so that wasn't a big deal.

Rate this thread