You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, April 27th 2012, 7:41am

Homemade Controller

Hello all. I just installed an irrigation system in my yard about a month ago. 12 zones. Did it all myself. I learned alot from this website and bought almost every piece here too I might add. Anyway, I built my own controller using some surplus equipment where I work. I used an Allen Bradley PLC 5 and RSView software. I even have a touch screen that I'll install, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been working on it, off and on, for a little over 2 years. I could have bought a controller and saved myself alot of time, but I wanted to see if I could build my own. After working out several bugs, it seems to work well. Kind of proud of it I must say.

I even use the controller to run Christmas lights and monitor power consumption in my house.

Friday, April 27th 2012, 8:24am

You've probably had a lot more fun working on your system than most of us.
Any pictures?

Friday, April 27th 2012, 9:26pm

I'll see if I can get a few. Maybe some screen shots too.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 27th 2012, 9:46pm

Does it monitor its own power consumption? :)

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 9:19pm

Homemade Controller Pics

I'll see if I can get a few. Maybe some screen shots too.
This is the PLC that I use to control everything. It's hooked into my home's wireless network so I can use my laptop to work on the system outside. It's really handy. This is one of the manifolds. There's another four valve manifold on the other side of the house. This is the user interface for the irrigation system.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "CaptainJackSparrow" (Nov 21st 2012, 8:50pm)

grey

Advanced Member

Monday, April 30th 2012, 1:10am

neat. Are those manifolds already installed? Where's the box?

Monday, April 30th 2012, 6:27am

neat. Are those manifolds already installed? Where's the box?
Yes, they're installed and working. Th little brass tags are stamped so I can tell which valve goes to which zone. I don't have the valve boxes yet. The complete manifold is almost four feet long, but each four valve half can be covered with one valve box. I used an NDS 113BC valve box on the four valve manifold on the other side of my house. I just need to get a couple. I've been looking at decorative rocks to cover the whole thing.

Monday, April 30th 2012, 10:20am

That is simply great.
I'm impressed.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, April 30th 2012, 2:09pm

Indeed impressive. Dig trenches by hand?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 30th 2012, 3:48pm

didn't the Allen Bradley PLC 5 dig the trenches? ^^

Rate this thread