You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ako

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 2nd 2012, 9:11pm

replacing sprayer with rotator?

I have an existing Hunter system that has lots of sprayers that are close together - up to 9 per zone. The installer has left town and I'm wondering if I can get more area covered by removing all the sprayers, replacing every other one with a rotator and sealing off the others. I have a really big yard, and the original builder had the sprinkler subcontractor install a system for a predetermined sq ft area and the system doesn't begin to cover my entire yard.
First off, is this a reasonable fix? I see lots of rotators and nozzles for sale, but nothing to seal or block off a sprayer that I would be removing from the zone. What is the fix for that? Also, since the system has been designed, installed and programmed, is changing out the heads something a homeowner can do without too much trouble?
many thanks.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 3rd 2012, 8:30am

Sounds like a bad design? You might need to do more than just change the heads. You should be able to just switch out the sprays with Hunter MP rotators. Just screw them out and in. You will need to adjust watering time sas the precipitaion rate will be different.

As far a shutting down heads, unscrew the body and insert a plug threaded with teflon tape.

Bottom line is you can make alll the adjustments yourself. But sounds like you have a big design problem.

grey

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 3rd 2012, 5:49pm

you can replace heads, BUT you will screw up coverage on existing zone and coverage for the other part will be poor. You need to add pipe.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 3rd 2012, 7:11pm

I would highly advise contacting a professional in your area and discuss your objectives with them. You are talking about completely redesigning your system. Not knowing your current design, pressure, flow, or yard dimensions, we'd all be grasping at straws!
What you're talking about doing has been done, but there is lots more too it than capping heads.

Rate this thread