You are not logged in.

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 2:13pm

Turning Valve manually, hear gush, no water

Hello all- I've been trying to figure out why our sprinklers aren't working. The controller runs through the settings like it's working, but no water. I went to each valve and turned them on manually- on one I turned and nothing happened, but on the others, I turned, I heard a gush of water, but nothing sprang up. What's my next move here?

mrfixit

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 2:47pm

Sometimes when a diaphragm breaks apart, you'll hear what sounds like water running but it's not.

There's either a break in the pipe somewhere or a bad diaphragm. You might want to turn the water supply off and take the top of the valve off. Inspect the diaphragm. See if it's still in one piece. If it's ok look for a break in the line.

I suppose if you have poly pipe it might be pinched off somewhere.

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 4:23pm

I just went to go check the diaphragm, but it looks like my valve is stuck in dirt. What's the best way to clean it out? Can I vacuum up the dirt? It's up to the bonnet, so I can't even unscrew or anything. Looks like that's the case with all my valves. The round valve box has a lid, with a little hole for lifting it up.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 4:34pm

Your hand makes a nice small shovel.

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 5:05pm

Okay, here's the update

I went to Rain Bird's website and they mentioned turning the bleed screw to clear out any debris. In my front yard there are three valve boxes, one to the flowerbed- opened bleed screw, sprinkler worked. The other two seem connected to each other some how. If one is off then the other one doesn't turn on, if I turn one on, I can turn it off using the other one. It's very weird. Why would these two be connected somehow? Also, it appears they will only work if the bleed screw is up on one.

The prior owner has six zones listed, I can't find valve boxes for either side of the house, just the front and the flowerbed. This is so new to me.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 7:09am

You may have a master valve - it controlls all other valves. Look at the controller and see if you have wires connected to a MV.

Rate this thread