You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 11:23am

Best rotor on the market for 28-37'

I am trying to setup a sprinkler system in my front yard, its fairly large so I need to use a rotor that will work in the 28-37' range. I've read up on the Rainbird 42sa Rotor and the Hunter I20 rotor. A local sprinkler said that he did not recommend the rainbird rotors as they leaked water at the head and the Hunter was a better product. Does anyone have real 1st hand experience? I am on a well and was suggested to set the system up for 12-13gpm and 45psi.
Phil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 11:36am

If you are on a well, set up some water filtration as job one.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 2:28pm

Filtration is important.
I-20 is top of the line in reliability and features. It is a commercial grade head. It has a stiffer retraction spring than most residential heads, so it's important to have that 45psi at the head. It does carry a stiffer price tag also. Well worth the price, though. The PGP Ultra comes in second, with a lower price tag and lighter spring than the I-20. The PGP Ultra carries a lesser warranty, also.
The 42sa's seem rather reliable on municipal water applications, but can't comment on pump applications.
I manage a few townhome complexes that have well over 300 I-20's installed on each site, and it amazes me how few need replacing each spring. After maintaining these sites for 5 years, I can count the number of heads replaced on two hands. They are an amazing head. But, like any head, dirty water will shorten their lifespan.

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 4:36pm

Thanks for the replies. I got a quote friday to do my whole yard and I was shocked at how much it came back at. One of the differences was the sprinkler heads, I was expecting Rainbird 32/42sa's but he recommended the I20s which he claimed are a better head and it sounds like they are. I know the contractor has a huge stock of the Hunter I20s and I was unsure if he was trying to push them because they are what he stocked.
Anywho, I am going to probably get him to give me a price on doing just the front and back yard, its maybe 30 sprinklers total on 6 stages. I know the orginal quote included 96 sprinklers to do my whole yard which included a really funky shaped area to the outside of my driveway. My front yard is the hardest to keep the grass fresh and green as it has the least shade. Thanks again!

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 7:27pm

That is one of the downsides to the I-20 as a residential head. The contractor may have had to limit the number of heads per zone in order to maintain the optimal pressure for the head. Fewer heads per zone adds cost to the installation. Although, 45 psi at the head is optimal for just about every residential rotor on the market.
Keep in mind, I've installed Toro products for over 10 years, and this head and it's cousin the Ultra are seriously making me consider switching product.

Rate this thread