You are not logged in.

MP1975

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 10:17am

Leaky head after system is turned off .

Hello all !

New here so I will try to be as informative as possible. My sprinkler system has 3 zones and was not operational for roughly 4 years. I replaced /repaired the heads that needed attention zone by zone and have 2 zones working perfectly except for one minor (I hope) detail. The very last head in zone 2 drips when the system is turned off. There are 5 heads in zone 2. I replaced the head with one I know that works with the same result I also tried a brand new head with the same result. Totally perplexed, since I am learning about sprinkler systems as I go along I figured I would join a forum and ask the pros.

Thanks much in advance for the help,
MP.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 10:21am

The problem is not the head, but the zone control valve. You can try taking apart and cleaning the valve that controls that zone first as there may be debris in the diaphragm letting water pass.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

MP1975

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 10:37am

TYVM for the quick reply. I had that problem in zone 3 and replaced the valve and all the heads stopped dripping the only difference is "ALL" the heads dripped a bit in zone 3 when the system was turned off which is not the case in zone 2 that's why I ruled out the control valve. "NOT" that I know for sure just seemed like a different situation.

The one other thing I just noticed sitting on my deck and thinking about it, that head is at the lowest point in that zone. If that helps.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MP1975" (May 12th 2012, 10:57am)

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 12:03pm

Keep the zone off for a while. If the dripping/leak stops after a few minutes or in some case with large zones, hours, than that is just low head drainage. You'll also notice a lot of "air" sizzling out of the heads every time you turn the zone on, because the water needs to fill the pipe again and take over the air space. This is common when a certain head, and the pipe are at lower/higher levels then others. This is normal for most systems, but can be stopped with a sprinkler head that has a "check valve". A check valve will keep water from leaking out at lower elevations.

If the water is coming out all the time 24/7, then it has to be the valve (debris). The valve is the only thing that stops the water flow. The sprinkler heads do not....if water is leaking out, the valve is the culprit.

If it is the valve, and you decide to take it apart again, then let the mainline flush out before you re install the internals. Did you replace the valve internals, or the entire valve and body?

They're may be some fine grit or sand in the line.
Off topic: Are you on well water or city water?
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

MP1975

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 1:43pm

On city water and the valve I replaced in zone 3 was the entire valve. Cheap enough and the system is about 15 years old or better. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Will try leaving the water on to see if the dripping stops eventually or not. I do know in the past it never dripped when the zone was shut off. Still wort a shot. I did buy a new valve if the dripping continues. Thanks again.

MP1975

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 4:04pm

Seeing that the zone is not that large and waiting 1/2 hr or so and the drip continued I just replaced the valve. The end sprinkler does stay on for a few seconds, maybe a minute, then shuts right off with the new valve. This matter is now closed.

Other thread is my last problem left. That I know and for now. lol

TYVM for the help.

Rate this thread