You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

skid929

Unregistered

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 9:29am

Which heads? Hunter or Rain Bird

I have a new residential system where I hired an installed to do the layout, put the valve boxes (9 zones)in and leave me the rest. My question is around which heads to choose, I am suffering from analysis paralysis.

So far my system includes the following:

Hunter ProC Controller
WRC Clik Rain Sensor
ROAM Remote (I know not necessary but I had to have it!)
Rain Bird Valves
Febco 765 PBV

Box is wired and the only thing I need is to choose my rotary heads, I need 36. It's a large lot, and there will be plenty of heads. One area will slope away from the house, about a 15 foot drop overall, these heads will have added check valves (HCVs if I go w/Hunter). My dilemma is that I get mixed opinions on which heads to get, which are better or more suited for my set up. Some say Rain bird has better spray pattern, but I am only really familiar with Hunter. It's coming down to either the RB 5000 Plus, the Hunter I-20 or the PGP Ultras. I really like the ability to shut off each head and overall adjustability which draws me to the I-20 and 5000 Plus, but I think the PGP Ultra is more than suitable.

Just looking to get some opinions since I have read that the I-20s need certain pressure at the head to work properly, which I think I have but won't know until I get the heads. Actually going to Home Depot today to get a pressure guage to get a general idea from my existing spigots. I know the pressure is sufficient here based on everyone else in my neighborhood having sprinklers. Just not sure I will have what the I-20 needs.

I am on public water. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. I want to place my order for heads this week!

skid929

Unregistered

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 10:34am

Tested my PSI with a guage at each spigot today..I get a reading of 45 PSI at each. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 10:47am

As much as I like the Hunter PGP heads (I need the full range of nozzles only the original PGP has) - you might be happier with the Rainbird heads, because they have a better track record of not leaking when they are popped up.

skid929

Unregistered

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 11:02am

As much as I like the Hunter PGP heads (I need the full range of nozzles only the original PGP has) - you might be happier with the Rainbird heads, because they have a better track record of not leaking when they are popped up.
Thanks! Any opinions on my PSI readings from my spigots? The spigots are on 1/2" pipe, I am assuming I get more PSI out of 1" pipe but have no way to measure that without contacting the Town.

skid929

Unregistered

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 12:24pm

Actually my PSI question is irrelevant now, I just cranked up my PS to 60 on my mainline pressure regulator! Siked!

Monday, May 14th 2012, 8:26am

We get a mixture of comments. PGP is extremely popular. One reason is it has the greatest assortment of nozzles available, meaning the professionals can cover any situation they run into.
On the other hand, we get a number of good comments on the Rain Bird 'rain curtain' patterns.

I'd take either one without hesitation.

skids929

Unregistered

Monday, May 14th 2012, 7:54pm

We get a mixture of comments. PGP is extremely popular. One reason is it has the greatest assortment of nozzles available, meaning the professionals can cover any situation they run into.
On the other hand, we get a number of good comments on the Rain Bird 'rain curtain' patterns.

I'd take either one without hesitation.
Thanks! I order the Hunter i20s today, 34 of em! I figure the range of heads is the same as the PGPs and the quality of the head is a little better. I like the fact I dial them down to 18' for tighter areas. I figure the i20 is a durable enough head to allow me to just put them in and not worry about replacement for years to come. My friend who has PGPs installed for about 5 years now is just starting to see problems each year with a head (or two) leaking etc. each spring.

I am also going to try out the MP rotators in my sprays zones see how that goes. I think the reason I didn't go with the Rain Bird 5000 series is the rotor can't be dialed back to anything under 25', and to get that I had to go down to the 3500 series which didn't have all the features I wanted in a head. So the i20 became a no brainer.

Rate this thread