You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

therat

Monday, May 21st 2012, 9:39am

Low pressure in 1 of 6 zones

I bought a house about a year and a half ago and it came with a system. For the most part everything is working ok except for one zone. This zone has 4 heads on it (2 in front yard and 2 in back yard). The two in the back always worked but the two in the front would not work unless I had one of them turned down to the point it was only spraying about a 90-180* arc. This spring I noticed that none of them are really working anymore (not popping up and spraying).

I've tried manually opening the valve the following happens:

Water starts running through the drain below (a pretty good amount at a steady pace)
[attach]72[/attach]

Then after about 30-45 seconds one of the heads will pop up and will be spurting water (kind of a pulsing not a constant flow) and some water will be coming out of that pipe above in the same type of action (the pulsing).

Here is the valve:
[attach]73[/attach]

The first image be located at the bottom right of the second picture.

I am not sure what to do at this point besides giving someone a call and I'd like to try and fix this on my own. Thanks in advance.

Monday, May 21st 2012, 10:26am

I don't follow the drain comment.
What drain on the system?

mrfixit

Monday, May 21st 2012, 11:23am

Put a cap in that "drain" thing. Plug it off...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 21st 2012, 11:48am

If those antisyphon valves are below grade, you got some work to do.

therat

Monday, May 21st 2012, 12:09pm

I don't follow the drain comment.
What drain on the system?
The "drain" is the first picture. I have no idea what to call it or what it is for (I will refer to it as a drain for the rest of this reply because I don't know what else to call it). For reference the first picture is part of the pipe that is in bottom right of 2nd picture. What is this "drain" for? I have noticed that two other of the valves have similar "drains" (those appear to be working fine at the moment)

therat

Monday, May 21st 2012, 12:12pm

Quoted

Put a cap in that "drain" thing. Plug it off...
I'll give that a try when I get home from work.
If those antisyphon valves are below grade, you got some work to do.
The valve is definitely above 2 of the 4 heads on the zone but not sure on the other two (it is probably really close).

therat

Saturday, May 26th 2012, 12:14pm

This is what I was referring to as the drain in case anyone cared:
[attach]74[/attach]

tried capping the pipe and had similar results.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 27th 2012, 6:45am

your photo is of an "automatic drain valve", which is supposed to close off when a zone is pressurized - you may have more of them

Rate this thread