You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

paterjb

Monday, January 5th 2004, 9:38am

Advice for new system install?

Just starting my homework for a new system.
We have 38-40 psi static pressure, 7-8 GPM at a 1/2" hose bib. Should be more I assume if fed off of a 3/4 or 1" line. City code requires an RPZ valve. Max run to furthest heads(6)sprays is 160-170ft. Plan on 9 zones at 6-7 GPM per zone
Heres my choices to date;
Hunter PSC900i,Pro-c or SRC controller for 9 zones
Wilkins or Watts RPZ valve
1" PVC valve manifolds (3)
Weathermatic of Irritrol 1" valves (9) Leaning towards Irritrol
1"polypipe throughout from valve boxes (Northern Illinois)
15 Hunter PGP rotors-Enough pressure to run these?
23 Rainbird 1804 VAN sprays
3 Hunter 5 X 18' side strip sprays
Blazing saddles poly connectors with Hunter funny pipe risers
9 end-line drain valves at low point of each zone

If this sounds any good, or any other suggestions, or if I'm completely off base, please reply

Thanks alot, Paterjb

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, January 5th 2004, 10:51am

Sounds pretty good! How many PGP's do you plan to run at one time??

paterjb

Monday, January 5th 2004, 1:26pm

I plan on 3 zones with PGP's. The largest is 6.16GPM total using 5 PGP heads.
Do you see a problem with my pressure or anything else.
Will the PGP's open and work?
Thanks

PATERJB

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 6th 2004, 7:09am

Yes that is enough pressure to push up a pgp. sounds good. I know that ray will say irritrol valves. Plan on winterizing with a compressor even with drains. I do. There is too much money at risk here.
Thanks,

Pete

paterjb

Tuesday, January 6th 2004, 9:49am

Thanks for all the input on the system so far. Alot of help!!!
One more question. If I get 1" FPT's on the control valves, I assume I need a nipple that is 1" barb and 1" MPT to connect to my 1" polypipe.
Where do I get this type of nipple? Is this correct or am I all wrong.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 7th 2004, 4:43am

Yes. Get it the same place you are getting the poly pipe from. This is a poly pipe fitting not pvc and so it is gray in color. I get mine from home depot. I think SW may have these fittings also.
Thanks,

Pete

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 7th 2004, 3:48pm

SprinklerWarehouse does have just about any fitting you can imagine.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, January 9th 2004, 1:19pm

Everything sounds great! Deffinatly go with the Irritrol 2400T valve, and the SRC controller... the pro - c is a more updated controller with moudalulatry (i dont think thats spelt right) so it can now expand to 15 zones. the proc is an expandable controller...your choice.....everything else is great!
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 10th 2004, 11:56am

Your pressure is WAY TOO LOW! You will have a minimum pressure loss of 25 psi leaving you with 15 psi for the heads. Double check your pressure readings!

paterjb

Sunday, January 11th 2004, 3:09am

I'm starting to get confused. Comments from the forum say my designed system will work and others say it will not work. 38-40 psi before the Wilkins 1" RPZ as read through a 1/2" hose bib. Hope my guage is correct. Don't really know if it will rob 10-12 psi as stated in the wilkins literature. That leaves 26-30 psi to drive the rotor heads (5) 150 feet away in 1" poly pipe. Any thoughts?
I am going to tee off my 1" main after the meter and go directly outside with 1" copper (~ 40ft). Will that help my situation?
Thanks

Rate this thread