You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kevswilson

Starting Member

Saturday, May 26th 2012, 6:10pm

Sprinklers not coming on

I have a 10 year old 8 zone RainBird system that was working until about 2 weeks ago.
First off, zone 7 never came on when I started the system after the winter. It wasn't receiving power, and if I switched the zone 7 wire at the controller with zone 8, I could then turn on the 7th zone by turning on zone 8.
Then, all of a sudden, the whole system stopped working. I can still turn the zones on manually by turning the solenoids, but not through the controller. There has been no recent digging in my yard. I have done the following to troubleshoot:
1. Verified the water is on
2. Verified power to all zones (except zone 7) is between 24-28 volts at the controller using a multimeter
3. Verified ohms to all zones is between 30-60, except zones 1 and 5 (which register as a 1)
4. Tried to replace the controller with a new one by Orbit. But after hooking up 4 of the zones and realizing they still didn't work, I stopped.

I was trying to test zone 5 at the valve box and noted that I could measure 24 volts when the zone was turned on until I touched the solenoid wire to the hot wire and then the volts went to zero. (not sure if this is significant)

Any help on where to go from here would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 27th 2012, 6:43am

RE: Sprinklers not coming on

I have a 10 year old 8 zone RainBird system that was working until about 2 weeks ago.
I was trying to test zone 5 at the valve box and noted that I could measure 24 volts when the zone was turned on until I touched the solenoid wire to the hot wire and then the volts went to zero. (not sure if this is significant)

Any help on where to go from here would be appreciated.
Thanks
You have wiring issues, pure and simple. You might have some bad splices underground. It's the bad splices, or other wire issues, that allow you to read a voltage that disappears when you try to power a solenoid from the wire at which you just read 24+ volts.

Rate this thread