You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rickmktg

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 29th 2012, 11:14am

Options for watering a garden using sprinkler system

I have an Irritol 18 station system that has 18 stations running, i.e. no spare capacity. Some years ago I ran a line off one of the zones to our garden and put a spigot, to which I attached two sprinkers. When that zone (with 4 rotary heads) runs, the garden gets watered.

As the garden grew, I find that I need more coverage. I bought a pressure gauge and found 18-22psi at the spigot, which of course is while that zone is running with the 4 other heads.

I see several options:

1) Install low-pressure popup heads on the edges of the garden, that allow coverage of my 45' x 25' garden. Given growing corn and tomatoes that get quite tall, would either require me to setup a raised system that rains down, or put in a system that runs around the perimeter and likely also down the middle (to deal with blockage by the tall plants).

2) Make the assumption that the water pressure is 18-22 due to the 4 heads running. Since I don't need to water the lawn when I water the garden, I could change my approach and install a manual switch (since my controller is full) that is easy to turn that allows me to select the 4 lawn sprinkers OR the garden. I'd have to change it's position multiple times a week since I water the lawn 2 days a week and the garden every other day. Not ideal.

3) Evaluate the sprinklers and see if I can shut one of them off by replacing it with a plug, that would give me more pressure at the garden and therefore more coverage. Since they are in the very back, it's likely that I can live with at least one of them being turned off. Of course if this doesn't bump the pressure up enough it' in vain.

4) Change to a 24 zone system. I seem to have extra wiring, and the panel in the system goes up to 24 zones, but the controller is an Irritol 18. So I'd have to spend hundreds on a new controller. Not going to happen.

Ideas welcome.

Tuesday, May 29th 2012, 1:04pm

IF your pressure is high enough you might try running two low head count/volume zones at the same time by wiring two zones onto one terminal. This would free up your controller to add a true zone for your garden.