You are not logged in.

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 3:56am

STARTING FROM SCRATCH- INSTALLING A NEW PVB AND RELATED PARTS AND WELCOME ADVICE

I'm installing a new PVB to my sprinkler system (mostly drip line) of my Las Vegas home and I'm looking for advice on what other components to install with it and in what order to optimize its performance and maintenance. I already cut both sides of the PVC line and removed the old PVB, and I added a shut off valve a few inches above the ground to what was left of the PVC supply line. I thought this would be a good call since the only other shut off was the main line at the street or the PVB itself. I also realize that a shut off underground would be optimal for freezing issues but since there is limited space with the PVB between the house and sidewalk, and with Vegas only getting a little below freezing a few times a year at most, the valve just above ground should suffice. Along with the new PVB, I also bought a Y strainer which I plannned on adding a few inches above the shut off valve, again on the supply side of the line under the PVB. Additionally, I bought 2 threaded union couplings which I'm thinking about adding on either the supply or return lines to make removal possible for any repairs or maintenance. What I'm really looking for here is some advice on how to better utilize these parts and the best way to install them with the PVB icluding spacing, order, and any additional parts. The only thing that is pretty much set here is the shut off valve which is already installed. The rest of the componants can be installed in whatever order with any additional parts that you may want to suggest to make this PVB system the s##t! I saw several units with drain valves included on either side for cleanouts and blowouts and was wondering if that may be an option? I was also wondering if the unions added to either side of the lines were a good idea making it easy to remove the PVB if it ever needed to be changed or repaired in the future or to make it possible to directly clear out the lines? Anyway, I wll include pics of the valve and lines how they stand now and a picture of the parts I have purchased to this date. I appreciate any suggestions and any diagrams would be particularly helpful. Thanks

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 12:51pm

It looks Good so far. Your reasoning sounds on the right path.

I am in Houston, TX and we all do things a bit different depending on the region.

Personally, I would not use the strainer, unless you have a problem with your water.

The unions is a preference I guess, It is real easy to cut the device out and put in two couplings when you need to come back in with it.

The drain or hose bibs can, if placed before the backflow device can make the backflow device ineffective. After all the device is to come before any potential to connect to water cross connection. So if you add one, I don't recommend, put it on the discharge side of the PVB.

And Remember to get that bugger tested by a pro.

It really does need to be tested.

You would not believe how many brand new devices fail because of shavings of PVC or teflon or rocks in the line.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 12:53pm

Strainer after PVB supply, most people put them before the device. As I said, I would leave it out. If you are installing this for drip you should have your inline filter for the drip.

Thanks
Dan
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

r0nj0n3s

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 8:16pm

I would add ...

I would add a tee to allow after the PVB, so that it can be winterized.

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 4:52am

Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to add the y strainer before the PVB on the supply line just a little above the shut off valve you can see in the pic but Dan you don't think this is a good idea? I read somewhere that it was good to keep debri out of the PVB and we do have very hard water here with a lot of minerals in it( many people in Vegas have water softeners for the water lines inside the home). I also wasn't 100% on the unions because like you said Todd you can cut it out pretty easily and couple it back in. I also thought the unions may make it more likely to leak. I'm going to wrap up everything real good after its tested so once that's done, I don't see taking it apart or off unless its absolutely neccessary. As rOnjOn3s mentioned, I am contemplating adding a tee. I have seen them where the elbow is on the return side of the line just after the PVB. This would be to blow out the line for winterizing, correct? If this is the case would the open end of the tee point up or to the side? It would seem that up would make more sense as you could blow air straight down into the return side. I think the diagrams I have seen hace the open end with a plug pointing to the side away from the unit so I'm a little confused on this? Lastly, I was planning on installing the height of the PVB somewhere between 18 and 24 inches since the back yard will be connected to the line and a few of the drippers may be elevated (little hills with plants or trees in the middle). So, what do you guys think??

mrfixit

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 9:52am

This might sound obvious but make sure you don't install it backwards. The picture looks backwards from the pipes and made me think of it.

Rate this thread