You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JJDub

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 1:18pm

Rainbird 5012 PC SAM - side inlet

Is it standard for the side inlet on a 5012 PC SAM rotor to be sealed? I was thinking it would be open with the understanding that if you used the side inlet the SAM feature would not apply. I bought two and both have the side inlet sealed. This is the first time I've needed a 12" rotor, so I have no prior experience with them.

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 1:57pm

I can't find anywhere on the Rain Bird site that says the SAM feature would not work if you use the side inlet.
Where did you run across that info?

JJDub

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 2:28pm

The top of the head says "SAM: USE BOTTOM INLET" in white letters.

I hit the RainBird site before coming over to this forum. I couldn't find anything outside of the generic 5000/5000 Plus info sheets.

Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 2:32pm

I'd be embarrassed about missing that but my blusher has burnt out from far too many 'ooops'!

Never thought to go pick one up. Just searched the site, found nothing.

Just looked at a case. There it is, bigger than life in white letters, and the side connector is blanked off.
Same thing on 6" model.

Still nothing in any docs I can find.

JJDub

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 2:53pm

Darn - well, I'll just dig the hole a bit deeper and wider. Appreciate you taking a look for me. Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 6th 2012, 1:01am

The side outlet is probably sealed because the sprinkler IS a SAM. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a non-SAM sprinkler? Also easier to install because you can use the side outlet?
The check is on the bottom of the sprinkler so that's the only port that will work as far as backflow goes.

Rate this thread