You are not logged in.

4U2NVME

Thursday, June 7th 2012, 1:06am

How many zones can a single zone on a controller run

Hi all,

Just got my design back for my acreage and I think I will want it changed but currently it has 23 zones!!! ;( I am on irrigation water so I get 50 GPM so if my pipe sizing is correct I should be able to run multiple zones at once. So my question is:

Lets say I have a single zone controller ( in fact I won't ) but lets say I did, how many zones or silanoid would it be able to trigger on and off at the same time.

Thanks

-NV

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 7th 2012, 8:06am

Only mechanical controllers can run zones without worry about too many valves powered at one time, at least up to the limit of the power supply.

They don't make them any more.

Thursday, June 7th 2012, 8:40am

If you don't mind me asking, was your design done by someone local or did you send it off to Rain Bird/Toro, etc?
I've found local designers use fewer zones as they have a better feel for the property.

How big an area? 23 might be right.

Figuring your average residential controller then technically yes, you can try and run two zones/solenoids off of one connection in your controller. It will probably work for a while. The key question is "how long is 'a while'?" Definitely asking for trouble down the line.

4U2NVME

Friday, June 8th 2012, 2:15am

If you don't mind me asking, was your design done by someone local or did you send it off to Rain Bird/Toro, etc?
I've found local designers use fewer zones as they have a better feel for the property.

How big an area? 23 might be right.

Figuring your average residential controller then technically yes, you can try and run two zones/solenoids off of one connection in your controller. It will probably work for a while. The key question is "how long is 'a while'?" Definitely asking for trouble down the line.

I paid to have toro do a premium design for me, I have a diagram linked to this post:
Another Pump Question
I let them know I have a flow of over 50 gpm and they just set a zone max up to 18gpm. I am a bit dissapointed as I could of gone with a larger main line to each zone and run more sprinker heads at once? It just means now I need to have multiple timers and a crap load of valves... There are 13 zones just dedicated to drip lines :( and not sure why they did it that way as the flow rates are so small, and IMO they used way to many laterials for the drip. I have established and establishing a shelter belt and the bushes and trees are all in a strait line. Not sure why they designed it that way.
-NV

Rate this thread