You are not logged in.

snow_loon

Starting Member

Wednesday, January 7th 2004, 3:18pm

How to keep rotor vertical in sandy soil?

We recently bought a home in Florida [8D] with a sprinkler system which has been in the ground less than nine months. The back yard has six K-Rain rotors (no model number on the rotor). One was practically laying on its side near the lawn surface. This one is slightly lower than the others due to slope. I dug it out and down to the flexible pipe connection. After flushing, the hole was flooded and the soil stayed wet. After putting the original soil back and trying to pack the rotor, it does not seem very stable. A concrete ring was added which may help. What is the best way to stabilize a rotor in sandy soil? Should the removed sand be replaced with better soil or gravel? Or is there a trick for packing the sand back around the rotor? The other rotors are not tilted as much, but all are spraying towards the heavens, and in my inexperienced opinion, need adjustment.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, February 23rd 2004, 8:56am

I have not experience with sprikler systems (yet!!!), but the first thing that comes to my mind is a 2' metal rod (about 1/4" diameter) and some zip ties. Dig the soil all the way around the rotor so that you can slip two loops zip ties around the rotor. Hammer the rod into the ground beside the rotor. Use the two zip ties to tie the rotor to the rod (one near the top, one near the bottom).

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, February 23rd 2004, 9:06am

Sounds like you put back the original wet/muddy soil?

You should packed in the head with dry soil.

66Stang

Starting Member

Thursday, February 26th 2004, 2:28pm

Check out this web site: www.sprinklerspacers.com.

It's a new product, the Mammoth Grip Sprinkler Spacers. They hold sprinklers in place and keep them from tilting. They seem to hold sprinklers up and keep them away from the sidewalk well.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, February 27th 2004, 4:09am

Like Hoo sya, Get yourself some metal rods. Rebar
I don;t think you would need to go as far as 2'.
Be careful with any underground wires!

Rate this thread