You are not logged in.

tedbrim

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 8:46am

Design for higher elevation

I have 3 zones running off 2-HP pump with bladder. 2 zones (7 heads each - all 1 inch line, Nelson gear driven) are at same elevation as pump (with anti-siphon control valves 1 foot above) and operate correctly; that is, pump runs continously at ~50 psi for duration of cycle.
Zone 3 (7 heads - Nelson, 1 inch line also) is at elevation 12 foot higher than pump/bladder. Anti siphon control valve is also 1 foot above this. Problem is when this zone is running, pressure at bladder increse dramatically and goes to shut off point (~ 60 psi) and then pump recycles. Pump on-off is not good. I think the solution is to "get more water thru this zone" - by adding more heads and/or larger nozzles. I have added 4-5 more heads - and increased the nozzles size with no success. I can change the pump shut off pressure valve to >60 psi but am hestitant to do this.
What might be a viable solution?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 11:02am

If the zone design doesn't have large enough pipe, you won't be able to push enough water through it to get the pump performance you want.

What is the shut-off pressure of the pump? You may or may not have some wiggle room to raise the pressure settings.

tedbrim

Monday, June 11th 2012, 7:55pm

Thanks for the reply and input.
I do have "wiggle" room on the shut off - as I can go to 65-70 psi - but I am very hesitant to do this.
I understand about using the larger diameter pipe. Are you suggesting the entire zone be "repiped" to greater than the 1inch I currently have? Or just the supply portion to the anti-siphon control valves? Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 4:56am

You aren't going to damage the pump by operating at higher pressure.

Rate this thread