You are not logged in.

ynfantej

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 2:19pm

TWO ZONES COME ON AT SAME TIME

Just recently had a home inspection and the following was identified:
Zones 7 and 8 on the control box are the same area.

I've gone to the control box Irritrol KD-9 and have manually tested the different zones. When I tested zone 7 by iteslf, both 7 & 8 came on. And vice versa with zone 8.

Trying to figure out how to seperate the zones to where just one runs when turned on.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 4:57pm

Sound like both control wires run to the same valve.
Can you locate the valve?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 6:59pm

Make sure no wires touch as they exit the controller.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 7:52pm

Try this, disconnect the number 8 wire from the controller. Do they still both come on? If not there's a problem with the controller.
I'm assuming they will both still come on. You have two wires touching somewheres. Sometimes the casing comes off the wire and they'll touch. Many times it's at the valves but could be anywhere along the line. Usually above ground. Look around.
If you can't figure it, do you have a spare wire you can use for number 8 and just abandon the one you're using now.

ynfantej

Thursday, June 14th 2012, 9:05pm

Thanks for the info- I tried the disconnecting one or the other. As long as #7 or #8 is turned on and one of the wires is connected, it sets off both zones.
I then tried to check if the controller was working correctly by setting just #8 to turn on w/out wire being connected, but the #7 wire was still connected to the #7 postion. Nothing came on. And I did it vice versa. Controller seems likes its working correctly. I think it the wiring somewhere along the line.
Haven't checked the valves? What should I be looking for w/in the valves areas?

Friday, June 15th 2012, 8:44am

First thing to look for is too many wires going to the controller.
Should have 1 common, 1 control.

If you have more, disconnect one. Problem solved.
If you only have one then you start tracing wires to find out where your cross connection/short is.

Might need THIS

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Friday, June 15th 2012, 8:46am

For one, look for touching wires in the valve box.

mrfixit

Friday, June 15th 2012, 11:38am

How do you know that zone 7 and zone 8 aren't the same valve? Are you sure there's two different valves running at once?
Maybe if you just disconnect the number 8 wire and turn the run time for number 8 to off your problem is solved?

Rate this thread