You are not logged in.

modetz

Starting Member

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 11:23am

Pump or Controller Problem

I am new to this forum. Have a large in-ground irrigation system supplied from a lake source with a pump suction system. When I started the system this spring I had a bad controller which I simply replaced with a rain bird digital model. The system checked-out fine.

Now I am randomly getting a controller error message indicating a " wiring problem" with a random zone. If a manually try to run a zone that successfuly completed the message will appear and also for any and "all" other zones. When a zone is running, I measure 24v at the controller from the common and pump start relay wires. When a zone is in the error mode those same wires measure "less than 24v". The pump start relay is less than 2 seasons old and I cleaned, checked wiring connections and manually ran the pump by depressing the switch.

If I shutoff the system and pump for an hour or so the system will restart just fine. I believe the pump is overheating at some point and when the next zone tries to start, it is drawing too much power. After the pump cools off, it starts with no problem.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions? I do not believe I have any bad solenoids as the zones open and close normally when the system is operating. Possibly the pump relay is overheating or the pump start switch is sticking, but not sure how to test. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance... Frank

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 12:29pm

It might be that the pump relay is being seen by the controller as a short circuit.

Rate this thread