You are not logged in.

TomNorthJersey

Unregistered

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 9:45am

Nelson System, Valves not turning on or off

Having problems with an old Nelson irrigation system. Valves are not turning on or off through the controller but everything works fine if you turn the valves on and off manually. The controller appears to be working fine and the wiring looks fine too. One of the zone valves was replaced with an orbit valve a year or two ago.

I think it might be the transformer. Does that sound right? Is there anything else to check?

I read something about a reset button and a "NO AC" light but have to check if this model has it. I posted some pics of the controller and valves. If anyone happens to know the model number of the controller and/or valves it would be helpful for the future.

Thanks.

mrfixit

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 11:10am

The green valve might be an Orbit. Orbit
The black valves are Irritrol or Hardy. Irritrol
---
Make sure the controller is putting out power. Check for blown fuse.
Make sure the valves are receiving power. Could be a broken ground wire.
I doubt it's your transformer. Is the controller running off of a back up battery? Touch the transformer, is it cold or warm?
Is the outlet working that the controller's plugged into?

mrfixit

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 11:18am

TomNorthJersey

Unregistered

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 7:17pm

Thanks mrfixit, identifying the components is a big help. Great to have the controller manual too.

Turns out it was a wiring problem. Took a closer look at the wiring today and had something to test continuity and found the problem. Replaced the wiring from the transformer to the controller with 16-2 stranded wire today and system is working now.

The Irritrol valves look about right. I have to look for repair parts for it. One of them is leaking where the bonnet meets the body. I'm guessing it needs a new diaphragm? I couldn't find a diaphragm alone, just this repair kit. This should work right? http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Valve-Replacement-Parts-p/spk-700b-75.htm I have to double check the size. It's my uncle's system.

The top valve is an orbit valve. Was replaced recently because he bought it before we realized you can get replacement solenoids. In the future, would this be the correct solenoid for the Irritrol valves? http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Valve-Solenoid-p/r811-24vacg.htm

His anti siphon valve is leaking too. I have to check the size but I think it's 3/4". It was patched up with plumbers epoxy so there's no hope trying to repair it. Closest thing I can find is this. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Aqualine-Brass-Atmostpheric-Vacuum-Breaker-p/avb-075.htm Would that be appropriate? The only markings I see on the current valve are FEBCO 150PSI, 180 degF, ASE1001, T15 if that helps identify it.

I wonder if one of the reasons the backflow valve was leaking was because how poorly it was piped. The pipes don't line up. Could that pressure be causing the fittings to deform? Is it worth trying to correct? It's such a small difference I can't think of any fitting that would make up the difference and there isn't any slack in the flex hose to move the manifold back. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the valve.

mrfixit

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 8:14pm

No need to double check the size of the valve. It's definetly a 3/4".
Why don't you just buy the whole valve instead of the repair parts. I see there's only 1 dollar difference in price. That way you get a new bonnet and solenoid as well.
That particular valve is a little tricky to put back together. Make sure you pay close attention. Maybe you have the old valve laying around just in case you need to see where everything goes if something goes wrong.
Yes you your question on the solenoid.

TomNorthJersey

Unregistered

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 11:48pm

No need to double check the size of the valve. It's definetly a 3/4".
Thanks. That backflow valve I linked to should be good right? I didn't see any Febco valves that looked like the old valve on your site. I know nothing about these brands.

With all the stuff on the elbow I can't tell if it's pvc or brass. Does it matter which one I use? I don't see a brass one listed on SW. My local hw store probably has one.

Quoted

Why don't you just buy the whole valve instead of the repair parts. I see there's only 1 dollar difference in price. That way you get a new bonnet and solenoid as well.
DoH! i didn't even look at the price for the valve. I just assumed the repair kit would be cheaper.

Quoted

That particular valve is a little tricky to put back together. Make sure you pay close attention. Maybe you have the old valve laying around just in case you need to see where everything goes if something goes wrong.
I can practice taking apart and putting together the new valve! If I get it under 30 seconds I'll post it to youtube.

Quoted

Yes you your question on the solenoid.
Thanks again. Your info was great. I don't have my own sprinkler system so I don't know that much about them but I did read the sprinkler tutorial a couple of years ago when I was looking into installing one.

I'm probably going to place an order tomorrow. Want to try the Hunter MP Rotators because the coverage of the current nozzles is poor. The heads fit the Toro nozzles, the Hunter MP Rotators should fit too right? We picked up some Toro H2Flo nozzles today because the package made it look like they were similar to the MP Rotators but they didn't have the streams. They even seemed worse than the original nozzles when it came to losing water in the wind.

Friday, June 29th 2012, 8:15am

Careful ordering the MP Rotators.
They come in male and female thread.
Toro popups tend to use male thread nozzles.
Just make sure you match threads.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 29th 2012, 10:41am

That system has no backflow protection. Installation of an atmospheric vacuum breaker in place of what should have been a Pressure Vacuum Breaker has always been a code violation. Even if this sort of thing is ignored when a house is given a pre-sale inspection, the obligation to comply with code remains.

TomNorthJersey

Unregistered

Friday, June 29th 2012, 12:03pm

sorry for all the questions. was going to place an order this morning but checked sprinkler and it wasnt working. nothidng was changed since it worked last. power from transformer to unit is ggod. connections are z3 z2 z1 common and white black from transformer.

Light goes on when i attach leads to trans white black terminals
when zone 1 is programmed on light doesnt come on when leads on common and z1 terminals
if i connect tester leads to z1 and trans black sprinklers pop up. But not when z1 trans white are connected.
this is the same for all zones.

Can't imagine what could have gone wrong. Any ideas?

Rate this thread