You are not logged in.

sama123

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 11:23pm

How best to wire valves in multiple valve boxes

Sorry, if this sounds like a dumb question, but it is my first installation DIY sprinkler systems. I have a 15 zone, 3 valve boxes/stations (in different locations), 5 zone per box that I need to run a wire to the controller/timer.

1. I understand that the common wire will be connected in each valve box connecting all the valves using a water-proof silicon connectors.
2. Each zone/valve will then be wired to a non-common wire back to the controller.
3. I have an 18-16 direct buiral wire for the connections
4. After stripping the outer black jacket off to expose the multiple coloured wire strands, I cut and strip the white common-wire plus the necessary wires needed for wiring all valves within that valve box, while leaving the other wires untouched.

My questions is what is the best way to connect my system with minimum wire exposed?
What do I do with the 5 wires that terminates at, say, valve box #1? valve box #2?

Thanks for your answers.

mrfixit

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 12:31pm

If you haven't run the wire yet you might want to consider running three seperate bundles of 7 wires each.

That way you'll have a spare wire in each box just in case.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with how you're doing it.

Don't worry too much about the exposed wires if they're down in a box. Tape them up if you want.

sama123

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 2:29pm

I am intrigued by the 3 separate bundles of 7 wires idea. A follow-up to that idea would be how to connect the common wire? That is would the controller require 3 separate connections of common wire? I plan to use the Hunter Pro-C (15 zones) controller

mrfixit

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 7:02pm

Yes, use the white wire from each of the bundles and connect them to the controller. I usually tie all three wires together along with a fourth short piece of wire. Then I connect the short piece of wire to the common post. You don't have to jam a bunch of wires into one slot that way.

Rate this thread