You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hml4

Starting Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 12:51am

Type of control valve

I have an inline control valve that is not opening and I cannot determine the manufacturer or model to get replacement parts. I would appreciate any assistance identifying the valve or a replacement diaphragm.

The valve will not open to allow water to flow to the zone. All other zones operate and I have swapped the solenoid from another valve, and the other valve operates with the swapped solenoid. The problem valve will not operate with either solenoid. Therefore, I assume the controller and solenoid are good and it's the diaphragm that is the problem.

The valve is about 23 years old and has no manufacturer name or model stamped on the body. The solenoid does have Richdel stamped on it. The bonnet has 8 screws, a bleeder screw, flow adjuster and two steel plates under the screws. It is black in color. From viewing valves online I'm guessing its a Richdel, Hardie or Irritrol. Really need some help, I don't want to replace entire valve. I have attached a photo. Thanks

mrfixit

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 2:45am

If you post a picture of the diaphragm we'll have a better idea what it is. I agree it does look like the Brands you mentioned.
I don't see those in black though. That doesn't mean they didn't make them in black. Just saying.
The solenoid may have been changed at some point. It doesn't look 23 years old to me.

Could it be an Orbit? Orbit

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 10:19am

it's a Richdel R205, and you can use parts for the Irritrol 205 for repairs

4lmh

Unregistered

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 10:51am

Type of control valve

Thanks for help. I should have attached photo of diaphragm to original post.

mrfixit

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 11:02am

The diaphragm's definetly broken. The plastic screw broke off. Sometimes that piece will get into the manifold and will keep one of the valves from shutting off. More so on anti-syphon valves than inlines. Try to find that piece. There's a good chance with the 205 that it's washed away down the line somewhere and wont cause a major problem. It may never cause a problem.
---
Diaphragm
---
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-205-Series-Valves-s/429.htm

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 11:05am

Plan on making that repair to all the other valves, if they are the same make and model, and the same age.

4lmh

Unregistered

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 11:30am

Type of control valve

I appreciate the help and advice. Unfortunately, the screw must have washed down the manifold and this was zone one...ugh! I'll have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it washes out of the manifold. At least I know what to look for if one of the other zones won't turn off. Ordered two diaphragms because the system was originally only two zones and I added 4 more using different control valves. Thank you both very much, hopefully you saved me from having to replace entire valve. :thumbup: