You are not logged in.

rw1650

Starting Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 10:14pm

where to find parts for older system

This is what I've got
This is an older system. Installed roughly 1976. We have a 5 horse pump which feeds from an onsite pond. Goes from pump into an underground system that feeds 25 sprinklers on one zone. We irrigate 3.5 acres of blueberries. These berries haven't had the best maintenance until I came onsite 5 years ago. The sprinklers are on five foot pipes with older metal rainbirds on top and they just push into the check valve and twist around to hold them in place.
The fitting that the sprinklers push into are checkvalves with a rubber ball stop. So the water pressure from the water closes the valves when a sprinkler is removed. These fitting screw onto a T fitting cut into the underground piping.
Now here lies my problem/question.
Several (about 6) of these check valves need to be replaced. The threads on the check valves have rusted away and one has popped off of the T fitting causing a geyser type reaction causing a loss of water pressure and thus disabling the system for all intents. I realize I can put a cap on the fitting but with the dry weather we are having I would like to figure out where to buy some new check valves of the old sort.
I stopped by a local irrigation supply house and they were suggesting these newer types. However the cost involved would be sky-high.
I could go several routes with these replacements but I would like to stay with the same type of fitting if possible. I am looking for some direction on where to begin looking for these parts. I do not know any model numbers of the such but I am able to submit pictures of pieces and parts and setting.
Any help would be appreciated

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 6:53am

If these old parts are not marked with a name, I don't see how you expect to find a match. The expense of a plastic ball valve and maybe a bushing or two, is surely less than that of some specialty fitting.

Rate this thread