You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rain man

Friday, January 16th 2004, 4:13pm

hookup to a well

Looking for advice on hooking up to a well. Can I tee off the house pump or do I need to install a second pump for the irrigation system? Thanks!

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, January 16th 2004, 5:19pm

Depends on how big your pump is. I would recommend that you get a separate pump and well. I would let others reply, I don't have much expirience with pumps and wells.

rain man

Saturday, January 17th 2004, 7:46am

Thanks...Unfortunately I have gotten a quote to put in another well for $2,000. Very pricy..

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, January 19th 2004, 2:53am

I use well water and it is fine as long as you know what you are working with. Ill give more info later. goto go
Thanks,

Pete

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, January 19th 2004, 3:29am

got to this link http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/LawnCare/doit.asp then go under how to design you system. Read this guide when you get to zoning your system you will read about the 5 gallon bucket method. Use this as a guideline and give me some more info.
Thanks,

Pete

rain man

Monday, January 19th 2004, 1:00pm

Pete, Thanks for the info. I understand how to set up zones based on maximum available flow rates, however my experience has been with hooking up to municipal water, not to a well, and would like to know what the standard practice is for well water systems. It seems that you would have to have a separate pump for your irrigation system so that it is sized correctly for your zone requirements. However, if you have to install a separate well it gets very expensive. So how is this situation typically resolved? Can you get 2 pumps on a single well?

Thanks!

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 20th 2004, 6:42am

I have asked well guys this same question and they say no (2 pumpsand 1 well). How many gpm is the current pump able to provide? I have a 4 inch well with a 1/2 horse pump and it gives 13gpm at 40 psi. This is a very standard size pump. Nothing special. I looked into droping a bigger pump down the well but that would be another 800 dollars. Therefore, that is why I sent you to the 5 gallon test to get an approximation of what that well can produce. Also if it is a new well the homeowner may have the spec sheet that was filed with the county when the well was installed. The well driller has to provide info like gpm to the county. I have no experience with city water only well water.
When i designed my system I had to work with the 13 gpm and design the zones around that. It works fine.
Thanks,

Pete

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 20th 2004, 10:58am

Pete,
Do you have a pump relay and everything that goes with a pump?

rain man

Tuesday, January 20th 2004, 3:32pm

drpete3,

Thanks for the feedback..my well is only theoretical...just looking for information.. I'm curious, do you install the well to be used for the irrigation system yourself or sub this out. If sub, how much does this cost? Based on quotes I have received, a new well installation $2,000 would nearly double the cost of the system for a residential job. Not very practical..
Thanks again!

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 21st 2004, 5:32am

Out in the country, where I live, we all have wells to supply dirnking water etc... My home is 5 yrs old and the well I described earlier was installed when my home was built. From the well a main line comes into my basement and to a 20 gallon pressure/holding tank. Also, connected to the main line is a pressure guage and a switch that tells my pump when to turn on. My pump starts when the pressure drops to 38 psi and shuts off at 58 psi.

To install my system I Just cut the main and inserted a T and ran my system off of this. When my system turns on the pressure will begin to drop and at 38 psi the pump starts. Because of the way i designed my system the pressure continues to run at 40 psi until I am done watering.

Well drillers normally charge by the foot and my 50 ft well cost about 3000. Remember though, I needed this any way. My only mistake is that the well driller did not know that I wanted an irrigation system or he would have used a bigger pump and it would have been about 100 dollars more then vs 800 now.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread