You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

AV8OR

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 10:15pm

To Check Valve or To Not Check Valve....That is the Question

We have a long skinny strip of grass between my neighbors drive and mine. The part in between just isn't getting the proper coverage and it looks as if replacing all 14 heads with all new MP Rotator Heads and Hunter PROS PRS30/PRS40 spray head bodies will provide a better over all zone of coverage.

My question is should I purchase the spray head bodies with the check valves installed or without the check valves? We live in the Dallas area.

Thank you

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 8:22am

If the cost difference doesn't scare you...do it.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 10:58am

Gonna use 180s or strips

AV8OR

Thursday, July 5th 2012, 12:00pm

Gonna use 180s or strips

It is a long skinny strip of property dividing the two drives with my property line about 14 feet from the edge of the driveway. Currently I have 180 degree heads that are in a line next to my concrete driveway pointing out into the grass.

What about winterizing spray head bodies that have check valves installed? With water trapped inside the spray head body so close to the ground level what keeps them from cracking with the first hard freeze?

Thank you

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 5th 2012, 7:16pm

Check valves don't trap water. Winterizing will clear the heads just like any other sprinkler head. It's worked for years.