You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 9th 2012, 5:09pm

New user... Simple questions

Not so much..

Hi all... Im jon.. Me and and wife just bought a house. so happens the house has a sprinkler system all ready installed.
(although it might have been eazyer to not have it and install a new one from scratch)

This is the deal.

i cant find 2 heads (digging has already started)
the power from the 2 valve box's lead in to the garage (thur exterior wall) and on the other side its sheet rocked... so i don't know, if there is a timer box.. or where it gets it power from

the heads ive located (3 of 5) are nelson one is destroyed... (victim of lawn mower)

So this is where i stand.. where do i start once i have located all the heads?
is there a electrical schematic i can view? so i can get a idea of what this 18gauge wire (looks like 18/6) is suppose to be doing?

Do these heads run off dc or ac?

at this point im looking at a totally neglected system.. with no power no panel no timer... just heads in the yard.. 2 control valve boxs and a valve to turn the hole system off..

im almost sure it froze, but digging and replacement isnt a issue....

any kind of input would be appreciated, where to go.. what to do..

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, July 9th 2012, 9:07pm

You can manually turn on the valves at the valve itself. That is if you are able to turn on the water without leaks in the mainline. Loosening the selonoid a quarter turn works for about 95% of valves on the market.
The valves run off of A/C voltage 98% of the time.
As for the controller, keep looking. It's there, or you'll have a cut end of the 18/6 wire hanging somewhere.

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 8:07am

Your problem is sort of backwards.
Usually we know where the controller is and trace wires to find the valves. Don't see many cases of lost controller.
If the wires were not cut and sheetrocked over look in different closets/utility rooms.
I've found a number of them in master bedroom closets.
Majority of valves = 24 volt.
Controller needs an AC power supply. Could be hard wired or standard plug.
No schematic but look at wiring a controller/valves for examples.
That section on design will give you a little guidance on how systems work/are installed.

Keep us updated. We'll throw suggestions out as we can.

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 2:59pm

very nice! Thank you so much guys...

Ill try to isolate the heads.. by closing or opening the valves maunally inside the box's

Shy of moving my work bench in the garage and blasting a hole sheet ... all i know is that the wiring from the valve boxs run across the front of the house then go up and in thru the exterior wall (and on inside its sheet rocked)

Its obviously done poorly... or strait up wrong... but Im a welder, mechanist, fabricator electrician, and Ive got some plumbing under my belt so... this should be to to hard for me...

but this information you give me is great!

hey If i can master a Reef tank.. I sure as hell can fix my beat sprinkler system....

my goal is to uncover all the heads maybe move some of them... (seeing as i have fruit trees in my yard) Im quite sure they were installed for those fruit trees...

ill keep ya posted... and maybe when i get around to it ill post up some pics. b4 and after.. (i know that makes the forums much much better )

Cheers :)

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 3:56pm

way cool.... turned it on.. turned the valves... found them all... 3 that i didn't expect.. figured out which one goes to which... just cut the wires to the valves Ill rewire that anyway... even if the panel is in the garage its in the wrong place... it needs to go thru the wall towards the supply... because that's where the electrical panels is...

thanks for the help

Rate this thread