You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, January 19th 2004, 8:17am

Indoor or Outdoor?

Thinking it was my fault or the local conditions (southern California) that caused two Orbit controllers to fail in as many years, I built a cabinet in the hope it would prolong their service life. After the third controller malfunctioned, I learned what junk they are. My intent is to install an Irritrol, Hunter or Rainbird replacement. The problem I'm having is getting a straight answer from the local supply houses. Variously, I am told that I can use an indoor controller and plug it into the outlet, or that I must hire an electrician to wire an outdoor model to make the warranty valid. The construction and location of the box make it highly unlikely that any timer would be directly exposed to rain or spray. There are significant price differentials between indoor and outdoor units and labor expenses if an electrician is needed. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue. The existing installation can be seen here: http://www.bilagaana.com/valves/valves02.html

Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, I'm aware that the anti-siphon valves are too low to be effective and correcting this is the second half of the project. That's a simple in-line check valve to the left of the third box.

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Thursday, January 22nd 2004, 5:37pm

I'm a Hunter man myself and have been very satisfied with their product line. The Hunter Pro-C is a good user friendly controller which I have found to be very dependable. In reference to your indoor/outdoor question I would lean towards the outdoor model due to several aspects. First of all, eventhough you used your skills to built an adequate cabinet, one day you may want to remove it and you will have the proper controller if you do. Secondly, I see that you have a weather gaurd outlet which is fine for either controller (while in the cabinet) but just keep in mind that the indoor model has a plug-in transformer which eliminates the protective feature of that outlet. And finally, unless there is a city code preventing you from changing out your controller I am not aware of any warrenty issues about an electrician doing your wiring. All you need is a power supply cord which consists of 3 basic wire connections in the controller then plugs into your outlet. Keep in mind that there is just a $15-$30 difference in controller models and the modules will be the same cost for both. I hope this helps.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, January 23rd 2004, 2:49pm

HUNter is the way to go....get a Hunter SRC or a Proc depending on the zonage amounts and install it INDOORs.....guarantteed to give you trouble free operation
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Friday, January 23rd 2004, 5:55pm

bilagaana: I totally agree with Ray that the indoor controller is the ideal way to go if you can install it in the house or the garage.

Friday, January 23rd 2004, 6:30pm

I appreciate all the advice. I'll go with the Hunter, then. I'm assuming this means using the modular unit, as I need twelve stations. Unfortunately, there's no practical way to run wire for an indoor controller. The garage is on the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the valves, and there's a whole lot of concrete in between. This has been a year-long project, trying to get a working system out of the kludge mess the previous owners left. It's not over yet. And this clown supposedly made his living landscaping. I pity his clients.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 4:54am

Do you have to mount in the garage? What room is behind that cabinet? Do You have a basement?
Thanks,

Pete

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 6:55am

This is southern California; kids grow up here without knowing what a basement is. It's all living and dining room behind the cabinet, to the other side of the house. The garage is really the only acceptable location for an indoor controller. It would take massive trenching to route the wires in both directions, and I've done enough of that trying to trace the existing system and bring some logic to it. If I were starting from scratch, I'd definitely go indoor. Incidentally, I plan to post later to whatever thread is devoted to valves. I greatly appreciate everyone's time and effort in replying to my questions. This is the one useful forum I've found.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 5th 2004, 3:53pm

if there is cement to the garage....run the wire under the house...along the perimeter until you reach a lawn or garden area where you can bury the wire, and lead into the garage.
Thanks
Ray

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 5th 2004, 3:54pm

if there is cement to the garage....run the wire under the house...along the perimeter until you reach a lawn or garden area where you can bury the wire, and lead into the garage.
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread