You are not logged in.

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 6:51pm

ROAM REMOTE

I'd just like to give my opinion of the ROAM remote.

It's nearly perfect in every aspect. The range is good. The size is nice. It always works. It's easy to program. I do have an issue though...

Anybody who's repaired sprinkler systems will know first hand what I'm talking about.

There's one feature that's a problem. I didn't have this issue with the ICR or the SRR. The amount of time it takes between the functions ON and OFF is way too long.
Supposing you need to flush something out, you're working in a hole, you turn the water on, flush the debris out and quickly turn the valve off. Well that's what I used to do. With the ROAM it takes 5 seconds before the remote will allow you to press OFF. So for 5 seconds there's water filling up the hole or flooding the area or whatever.
This might sound like I'm being picky but in certain situations the less water the better. 5 seconds of water can complicate things.
--
I've been in contact with Hunter Industries. I wanted to know if there's a backdoor way of programming the remote to a 0 second delay instead of 5.
I didn't get far with that. Here's what Dennis Golya had to say,

Hello Bob,
I am sorry but you are not going to change this, it is part of how the ROAM was designed, for better or for worse, it will only turn the station to OFF as quick as you press the button and it communicates. Perhaps you can flush the dirt by going to the actual irrigation valve and turning the solenoid to open the valve manually and then quickly shutting it off, otherwise this will continue to aggravate you.
--
Yep turning it on and off with the solenoid. If I that I wouldn't even need a remote!
--
So now that I've vented, do with the info what you please...

seansy59

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 8:03pm

Although its not the best brand, I have an Orbit 6 station remote control timer (They sell a 12 zone too, can't comment on that one). It's worked wonderfully in my yard for the last 2 yrs and still does. It is instant on/off, and communicates instantly with the timer/valves (only a 1/2 second delay if even that) I use it all the time to quickly flush heads for only 1-2 seconds The range used to be about 200ft line of site, which was fair, but I've boosted it to 1000+ft even not in line of site using a 10 ft piece of copper wire hanging on the ceiling spliced onto the original 6" flex antenna wire. Now, the remote works flawlessly anywhere on my 2 acre property, and I can water from down the road too! :D Battery life is great, and I only use "2" 9v batteries each season. I use the remote almost every day to water the lawn when it turns a little brown from those 100*F days, and to water the gardens. Sometimes to chase the deer away from our tomatoes too! X( ;)
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread