You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dennisl

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 7:31pm

sprinkler station won't turn off

My #2 station was not operating. I located the valve/solenoid box and had power. Replaced the Richdel solenoid and the #2 station comes on but will not turn off. I have to turn off the water value in order to stop that station but when I turn the water back on the # 2 station comes on. I've opened the bleed screw on the valve control and bled it then closed and tried again but no luck. The solenoid and spring on the Richel that I removed could drop out of the solenoid. However, the replacement Richdel has a plastic retainer on it - does this retainer need to be removed? Any other recommendations? Thanks

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 11:56pm

Yes take the retainer off. It wont screw onto the old valves all the way with it on there. You'll strip the threads.

If that doesn't solve the problem the diaphragm is probably bad.

dennisl

Unregistered

Thursday, July 12th 2012, 8:39am

station won't turn off

well, i removed the plastic piece ... but now the #2 station will not come on through the controller. I can get it to come on by turning the soleniod or by opening the bleed screw (and did get air out) but when I reverse the process the station runs for a bit then shuts down. It will not come on with the controlller. The good thing is that I can leave the water control valve open and the #2 station does not continue to run. So, some changes in the symptoms. Any help?

mrfixit

Thursday, July 12th 2012, 11:20am

There could be a design difference issue here. They've recently redesigned the solenoids. The plunger is much larger now. I'm not sure what the brand new solenoids will do on an old Richdel. I know I stripped the threads of a solenoid because of that retainer on an old Richdel.
--
Is the solenoid's all black on top or is there a silver round thing right in the middle? If it's all black that might be the problem. I don't know. You might need the old style.
--
Have you tried a solenoid from a valve that works?
--
What you should probably do is just buy a 205 and replace all the parts. You'll get a new diaphragm, bonnet and solenoid. That should fix it since you say there's power to the valve.

motivated1

Monday, July 16th 2012, 8:09pm

wont turn off

carefully pull out the plunger and make sure there is not sand or some obstruction inside. I had this happen once( or 200 times i dunno) . I have rebuilt many a richdale/ Hardie etc with today's valves. Even some Homodepot can be rebuilt. Just replace the diaphragm/ seat, remove the solenoid plunger retainer, clean put grit inside solenoid so plunger can retract when actuated and try that. 8)
Give a man a gun, he'll rob a bank. Give a man a bank, he'll rob a country.