You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Trapkicks

Unregistered

Friday, July 13th 2012, 8:53pm

Two stations coming on at same time.

My house sprinkler system has got me confused. I have two stations coming on at once. Station 5 and 10 on a 12 station system. It's a rain bird. When I turn station 5 on to test it both 5 and 10 come on, same when I turn station 10 on. Both turn off when I turn the off. I was just doing a quick check of the system and noticed the problem. Does anyone know or have a solution to my problem? I am at the limit of expertise!

Thanks,

trapper

mrfixit

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 12:36am

Read what I just wrote on this post.

Trapkicks

Unregistered

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 8:30am

Two stations at once... Your post

Read your other post, went to control panel... Disconnected station five, turn station on nothing happened, left 5 disconnected then turned station 10 on both 5 & 10 came on... Vice versa, same thing happened 10 disconnected ... 5 on both on, 10 on neither on...

Gonna try and find the valves, know where 10 is but 5 will be fun finding...

Any of this make the problem more apparent?

mrfixit

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 10:49am

You've ruled out the controller.
You have crossed wires somewhere.
--
Look and see if there's a spare wire at valve 10 you can use. If so you wont have to find valve 5.

Trapkicks

Unregistered

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 10:09pm

What do you mean by extra wire? Like in the bundle?... There are 12 colored wires, I assume for each station (12)...

Disconnected the wires to valve for station 10... Turned 5 on, 10 didn't come on... Turned 10 on, nothing came on... Can I assume the problem is with 10??...

Still haven't found the valve for 5... Not sure where I need to go from here...

mrfixit

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 11:38pm

You definetly have crossed wires. Look around for splices. Look around for bare wires touching each other. They could be anywhere. I've seen where rats have eaten away the outter casing in the garage. Many times the sunlight has cause it to come off.
How many wires are hooked up to valve 10 and what color are they? If there's only 2 wires hooked up to it then I'm done with that subject for valve 10.
Have you done any digging recently where you might have nicked the wires? Has anybody done any repairs where they may have connected the two wires together?
--
Yes to your question. A spare wire in the bundle. An unused wire.
You say there's 12 wires in the bundle? You say you have 12 valves?
How many wires are hooked up to the controller including the ground wire?
Is the controller an 11 station or 12 station or?

Trapkicks

Unregistered

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 1:56pm

Two common wires go to one wire then two yellow wires from the bundle go to the other for the 10 valve... 12 wires plus common on 10 valve... Yellow wire is also yellow for station 10 on control panel... No unused wires...

I have not done any digging recently, two years ago I had to dig around 10 for the 9 valve because of a busted pipe, but I was very careful when I was digging around that area which is about 2 ft away

No one has done any repairs to my system, other than replacing a couple of sprinkler head which I have done and the job mentioned above... On the control panel(CP), 12 colored wires plus common on a 12 station system...CP is located in the garage and wires are in PVC down inside wall and as it exits the house to outside in PVC into ground...

When it cools off I'm going to go check the other boxes that I know where they are, which I still haven't found 5... Since only stations 5 & 10 are the only stations I am having a problem with I should just be looking at those two colored wires which could be anywhere along the line?

mrfixit

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 2:04pm

Did you say 4 wires are hooked up to the 10 valve? I had a hard time following that.
Two common wires is ok. But if there's two hot wires as well. One of those wires might also go to 5. Just disconnect it.

Trapkicks

Unregistered

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 6:30pm

The 10 wire is yellow... In the bundle it looks like they cut the yellow and attached the two ends that they cut of the yellow to the black wire on the valve...did that help? .. Does the yellow wire need to stop at the valve or continue its loop?

Got a email I can send you a pic?

I have witching rods I was going to use to help me find the other valves but we just got 2 inches of rain...

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 9:14pm

They should stop at the valve. Wiring the zone wire through the valve will only make locating the valve that much more difficult. I would follow the electricity from the controller, walk it if need be. Trace the path you expect the voltage to take. The wire will exit the garage and head to the mainline. Does the wire "T" into the mainline wire? This would be a possible spot to check for bad splices. Does the wire enter zone 5 box before it heads to zone 10? If so, you've probably narrowed it down to between controller and zone 5 box.

Rate this thread