You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jedisme

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 3:39pm

Minimum GPM?

I recently did a GPM test (bucket test) and only got 9.7 GPM seem low? This is from a well and a new pump, I filled the bucket with a water hose coming from the pump (if it matters). PSI was 45-50.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 4:07pm

a proper bucket test involves a pump that isn't cycling - make sure yours isn't cycling

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 4:35pm

If they end up being solid numbers - I wish I had them.

jedisme

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 1:39am

I do not have a presure switch ;( ..pump start relayed.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "jedisme" (Jul 15th 2012, 2:13am)

Monday, July 16th 2012, 8:29am

It's a bit low but not unusual.
Seen a lot of systems designed for 10 gpm.
Be careful with the design and you should be ok.

jedisme

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 1:51am

I redid the bucket test after finding a fitting I did not snug up very well and instead of using a waterhose I went straight from the spigot. I got better numbers 13.6 GPM. :).

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 8:10am

Glad to hear it.
Sure will make your design easier.

valovic

Saturday, January 12th 2013, 7:11pm

When I did my GPM bucket test at the spigot I got 8 GPM. Rainbird told me it was to low. So I re-tested it in the basment right at the poly pipe off the meter, and I got 30 gpm. The spigot was reduced down to 1/2" where the main line was 1" and there were no elbows or valves to slow it down.
I think it would be important to test it right where you would connect the sprinkler main. I would test it closer to the pump and use the biggest line you have (no reducers)