You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 10:53am

Best pump for my sprinkler system

I installed all the piping and sprinkler heads at my lake house and now I need to choose the right pump. I have five zones with 3 3500 rain bird heads on each zone. I am pumping from the lake, the pipe is 2" and runs 150 feet into the lake with a foot valve. At the pump, I am going to 1" pipe then to my valves. From my valves it is all 1" pipe. My furthest zone is 300' away up a 15 foot incline.

My question is, what is the best pump for this sprinkler system?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 12:50pm

we might be missing some elevation data, such as the height the pump will sit above the surface of the lake

strictly as a guesstimate, you might be looking for a 1 HP jet pump, which will have enough pressure to overcome friction losses and elevations

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 2:23pm

Thanks

I have attached some pictures on my elevation. I am not sure how to figure what my elevation would be but the pictures may help. Thanks for the info, what is the best jet pump namebrand to get?
The pump in the pictures was an old pump that someone gave to me and I hooked everything up and the pump's insides where very worn and did not push much water.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvy09af7pghw5e2/WrP_gjB-eB/New%20folder

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 2:26pm

past the link into your url and you will be able to see the pictures.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 3:20pm

You don't need a surveyor to give you levels, but you can't just guess, and you can't post pictures and expect any number you can trust. You need to know the elevation difference between the pump and the surface of the lake, to start with. A pump will push water much better than it can lift water, so the pump is best located near the shore of the lake. You may even find your old pump will work much better, if it isn't lifting the water so high.

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 4:40pm

From my foot valve to where my pump is going to be placed is 15'. What brand name do you recommend?

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 4:42pm

15' of elevation.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 5:52pm

I install Myers pumps. However, a Red Lion from the big box store would provide you with enough water.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 6:54pm

The difference that 15 feet of lift makes may be the difference between your existing pump working or not working for the job you have in mind. Or another way to look at it, is that it could make the difference between a 1/2 HP pump being good enough, with the pump by the lake, and a 1 HP pump being needed, if placed 15 feet higher. As for brands, there are the pumps that pros install, with the support they get from their distributors, to pumps you can buy online as reclaimed freight, for hundreds less. One possible quality bargain will be the Water Ace pumps, which are made by Myers, a company that sells to pros.

Rate this thread