You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 7:13am

Connecting valves to manifolds

I saw the earlier thread on pre-built vs. diy manifolds. At this point, I'd just as soon buy pre-built if I could find such a thing (which I haven't). I intend to use the existing valves, which have threaded connections, and as much of the existing manifolds as I can salvage.

My question is: Is it recommmended to install adapters and unions so that the valves can be removed for service, or do most installers permanently connect--thread the adapter into the valve and glue it to the pipe?

Thanks, again.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, January 26th 2004, 7:28am

I think most install permanent(without unuion). Most of the time if a valve fais the guts will be replaced from a new valve and just use the casing that was there.
Thanks,

Pete

rain man

Monday, January 26th 2004, 4:15pm

If you use a jar-top valve, you can unscrew the top to replace the solenoid on the valve w/out removing the housing.

rain man

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 5th 2004, 3:56pm

Use the Irritrol2400T it is the number one selling jar top valve around. ........that way if eomthing goes wrong within the valve you can yunscrew the guts leaving the valve and manifold in place.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, February 6th 2004, 4:14am

The problem with jar tops are the threads. The threads have a tendency to leak if they aren't clean before reassembly. I prefer valves with screws.

As far as prebulit manifolds, I believe Sprinkler Warehouse sells such a contraption.

I think the best way to build a manifold is with pvc slip fittings. The only threaded connection you will have is the male adaptor to each valve and the threaded connection to your mainline.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, February 6th 2004, 8:48pm

DURA Plastics makes the manifold I use. They work great for me, Priced right, no leaks and makes for a good looking install.

www.duraplastics.com

Sprinkler Warehouse sells them: www.sprinklerwarehouse.com

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 29th 2004, 8:06am

Dura makes a "manifold tee" which i use. They have a 1" threaded male adapter for the valve and each tee glues into each other. They are made of schedule 40 PVC. Using these you still have the strong hold of the glue, and a permanant manifold
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, March 1st 2004, 3:46am

Ray- the only thing with those tees you mentioned is the difficulty in getting the valves to line up with the tee. It seems you can never get it perfectly straight and have a good leak proof seal.

Tuesday, March 2nd 2004, 3:50am

I used the dura manifolds all last summer they work great.....dura also has pre made ones.....like 3, 4 and 5 i think ....so you can throw 5-7 valves on one manifold and only have to connect a couple of elbows instead of putting a bunch of tees together.

Rate this thread