You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Senatov

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 2:32pm

How to adjust radius of head?

Hello Everyone! This is my first post!

How do I adjust the radius (how far away the water goes) of my Hunter PS Ultra spray head? I need to turn it down as it is getting water all over the walkway. I tried checking on their website, but they only have instructions for the PS head.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 2:57pm

The body won't make a difference. It's only the nozzle that counts.
The screw on top of the nozzle can be turned down to reduce distance up to 10% +/-.
Do this with the water running. The screw will turn farther than you need. People have tried this with the system off and turned the screw until it cracked the nozzle.
Leave system on, turn slowly until distance reduced.
This will disrupt the coverage pattern slightly but should not be a problem.

Senatov

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 3:15pm

Thanks! I miss the PS heads which could do everything.

Senatov

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 5:51pm

I know that this is a few days later, but I have finally gotten around to adjusting the heads, and unfortunately, it did not work. The sprayers have green nozzles and say "Hunter 12A" on them. I tried to turn the screw on the top as hard as I could without breaking it, and it does not turn. I have another sprayer that has a blue nozzle, and says "Hunter SS" on the top, and I was able to get that one to turn. The sprinklers are only a few weeks old. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 6:12pm

If there are no strainers under the nozzles, there is nothing for an adjusting screw to engage with.

Senatov

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 6:19pm

If there are no strainers under the nozzles, there is nothing for an adjusting screw to engage with.
I'm sorry, can you tell me what that means in layman's terms? I am kind of dumb with this stuff. Sorry

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 9:19pm

Sometimes a system is installed, and no strainer screens are placed beneath the spray nozzles, and you need those screens in order to be able to adjust the spray distance.

Senatov

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 9:54am

Sometimes a system is installed, and no strainer screens are placed beneath the spray nozzles, and you need those screens in order to be able to adjust the spray distance.
I went around and checked the heads. I unscrewed the nozzle and found this:

under each nozzle. If this is a strainer, then yes, there are strainers under each nozzle.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 10:36am

that's good - sometimes that obvious piece is absent, and no way then exists to adjust radius

you should see a cross-slot on the adjusting screw, once you look at the underside of a nozzle - use the appropriate screwdriver to free up any stuck adjusting screws

Senatov

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 11:38am

that's good - sometimes that obvious piece is absent, and no way then exists to adjust radius

you should see a cross-slot on the adjusting screw, once you look at the underside of a nozzle - use the appropriate screwdriver to free up any stuck adjusting screws
I was unable to do that with a screwdriver, so I tried using a drill (I know it was a bad idea) but I was able to get the screw completely out. I then put WD-40 on it, and put it back in the nozzle. I then put the screen on it, and screwed it back into the riser. I was then able to turn the flat part of the screw on the nozzle. I have not adjusted the radius yet, as I am doing some other yard work and I do not want to get the grass wet yet. Since the heads are only a few weeks old, it is annoying that I had to do all this. :)

Thanks for the help! I will post how the adjustment goes later.

Rate this thread