You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nrwe

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 1:57pm

Controller Issue? Not sure...

I have a Rain Dial controller - sorry, don't know the model. But I have one zone, and one zone only that rapidly turns on and off - it basically is acting like a pump. I need to know if this is a valve or controller issue. The funny thing is, is that if I manually turn on the zone - it works fine. Even works if I turn the bad zone plus another and it works. I have changed the schedule time, just to see if the scheduling works, and it works fine. But if I set this zone for 6am, I wake up hearing my water pipes thumping because this zone keeps on turning on and off and on and off and on, etc....

It's frustrating to say the least. Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm game to swap out the controller, never done it before, but what to make sure the controller is really the issue before I go to all that work.

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 2:16pm

First thing, swap that zone wire with another.
See if the problem follows the wire.
If it does then it's not the controller, maybe wiring or solenoid.
If it does not follow the wire then controller problem.

mrfixit

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 2:40pm

I've seen this with the RainDial. It was the controller opening and closing the plunger of the solenoid. See if you can hear the solenoid clicking.
If that's the problem you'll need to change the faceplate or buy a new controller.

nrwe

Friday, July 20th 2012, 9:05am

Here is a little more information. Model number RD600-EXT, Serial 366616. Input 120Vac, Output 24Vac.

The display now constantly blinks - thinking its definiately the controller - you agree? I tried listening for the valve. I couldn't tell because the water pipes thumping was pretty loud - hard to hear.

mrfixit

Friday, July 20th 2012, 3:06pm

I've seen this blinking about 6 times the past 2 years. I'm starting to wonder about the RainDial. Everytime it was the controller.
--
You could disconnect the wire from the problem valve and see if it still blinks.
--
You could try resetting the controller.
--
Make sure the faceplate's plugged in all the way. Open the panel and look for the grey color connector.
--
I doubt any of that will work.
---
The model number you gave us is an outdoor controller. If you don't want to fiddle with the wiring or anything, you could buy an indoor model, because it's cheaper, with the number of stations you need. 6,9 or 12. Take the faceplate out of the new controller and put it in the old controller.
It'll work...
--
Maybe you want a different model. Up to you. Controllers- Click Here

Rate this thread