You are not logged in.

mouse

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 12:14pm

wayne 1 1/2 hp pump

I would like expert inforrmation:
I want to purchase a wayne pump, 1 1/2 hp, 2" suction, 1 1/2 outlet. I will be installing in lake for lawn watering (4 popup 25 foot throw). water level is 12foot below highest point ( lift 12 ft), suction 2" x 32 ft, discharge approx 150 ft max discharge 1 1/2 ".
Is this a good choice of pumps, What attaching hardware would/should I need. "ie" shutoff valves, primer valve, power on/off switch ?? or any other misc parts. I will have it bolted down in a shed.
Thanks everyone for any help
Mouse

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 7:58pm

Only Maxipaw impact heads are likely to work with that pump. It doesn't give great pressure. Odds are very good that half the horsepower gets you better performance, if you select a jet pump instead of a plain centrifugal pump.

mouse

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 11:05am

wayne 1 1/2 hp pump

Thanks for your reply, I had though that from the spec;s that at 30-40 psi, 5-12 foot lift that I would have enough pressure for this. I guess even though @ 1 1/2 hp,2 " suction and large discharge ( and a low price ) it woul;d have been great, now from what you are stating I need something different.
Could you recommend a pump by name, type and manufacture that would suffice. Also could you tell me the following:
1. would I need a pressure regulator.
2. would I need a csv.
3. would I need a tank.
Thanks for any information you or others can tell me, for I have never had or used a water pump.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 11:13am

Just because a pump is named "Lawn Sprinkler Pump" doesn't mean it's a great fit for a lawn sprinkler system. For an example of 'pro' pump performance click on the table below.

mouse

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 12:47pm

wayne 1 1/2 hp pump

Hi boots
Thanks for the chart, reviewing it and comparing it with the wayne pump: j155, 15 suction/lift--discharge 40psi/21.5 gpm.
wayne spj15p1, 15 suction/lift--discharge 40psi/30gpm.
is there something I am missing here ????.
Anyway, could you recommend where I could buy one that you recommend using and could you answer the questions in previouse post.
I really need a lot of assistances, thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 7:13pm

perhaps you don't pay for your electricity - other people do ~ paying for a 1 HP pump to do the work of a good 1/2-HP pump is not a great decision

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 24th 2012, 5:33am

If it was 50 years ago, a sprinkler system might have nothing but all-brass spray heads, which were capable of good coverage with pressures far lower than today's plastic products, so a pump supplying water at 30 psi could actually accomplish something.

A straight centrifugal pump of 2 HP or less, which is what the Wayne Lawn Sprinkler Pumps are, gets maximum efficiency at around 30 psi output, which is good for nothing but brass spray heads. And furthermore, as centrifugal pumps go, the Wayne pumps supply less water than centrifugals of equal horsepower by Goulds, or other major manufacturers.

None of the sprinkler systems being planned by people posting here are going to use anything close to the 30+ gpm a centrifugal can supply. With a system with 4 rotors running at one time, that is something around 8 to 12 gpm, depending on the rotor-head nozzle selected. At 25-foot spacing, a 2 gpm nozzle would do fine for half-circle heads. Looking at the Goulds chart, with a lift of 12 feet, the J5SH could supply 9 gpm at 40 psi, feeding your system with a third of the horsepower you'd be paying for, if you chose the 1-1/2 HP Wayne pump.

Rate this thread