You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Msinger

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 8:42pm

Relocation of system

I'm installing a swimming pool and have relocated my irigation system. I ran new pipe and re-connected to the existing lines. I elinminated zone 2 and have it turned off. The first zone went from 4 heads to one new head. The zones that I re-connected are 3 and 4. When I turned the system back on zone 1 runs for about 30 seconds and then it stops and zone 3 and 4 come on at the same time and both run through the zone 3-4 run times. I have zone 1 run time at 9 minutes. Zone 5 and 6 were relocated earlier and have been working fine. They now seem to have low pressure. Any tips on trouble shooting.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 10:00pm

You probably have leaks under the concrete.

Let it run as long as you can even if you don't see the water right away. Eventually you will see the water.

Good Luck.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 9:12am

" zone 3 and 4 come on at the same time and both run through the zone 3-4 run times"
Disconnect the wire from zone 4. Turn on zone 3. Do they both come on?
Reverse procedure.
If they both come on under either condition, or if either refuses to come on under either condition, you have a wiring problem. Or...

The low pressure does sound like either a leak, a pinched line or you cross-tied two zones. Maybe 3 and 4 were accidentally tied together, which would explain why they both come on and have low pressure.

Don't know why they keep running through the program.

Msinger

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 5:55pm

Relocation

Thanks GatorGuy...Good tip since I thought it was wiring as well. I discovered today when I tried it that zones 3 & 4 stay on all of the time. They come on anytime the main valve is on. When zone 1 is on there isn't enough pressure to keep it going after zones 3 & 4 get going. Zones 5 & 6 have low pressure because 3 & 4 are always on. Now I think it is valve related. How do I trouble shoot the valves?

Tuesday, July 24th 2012, 8:45am

Make sure the bleed screw and solenoid are screwed in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If either is unscrewed valves will stay on.

Still come on?
Remove control wire from each one, test system.
Hook one back up, test system, etc.

Msinger

Wednesday, July 25th 2012, 12:45pm

Relocation

I found out last night that the valve feeding zone 4 was installed with the flow in the wrong direction (feel pretty stupid for that mistake). Also zone 3 bleed fitting wasn't completely closed. So I reversed the zone 4 valve and closed the bleed fitting on 3. I was feeling really good about that resolving my problem. When I turned the system on zone 1 did as before it turns on for 30 seconds and the head goes back down. Now neither zones 3 or 4 will come on. Zones 5 and 6 are back to full pressure and working as they should. I turned zone 3 on and checked the bleed valve and it did release some air and a little water. I did the same with 4. It appears to me that I have water pressure to each valve. I moved the wire for 3 and then 4 over to zone 5 (which is working) to see if they would turn on. There was no change still wouldn't work. This tells me my problem is with the valves feeding 3 and 4. I plan to change the valves out one at time to see if they are defective. I had them laying around for about 5 weeks while I worked on other stuff and maybe they got damaged from moving them around so much.
Do you think this is a good course of action.......I'm really getting frustrated with the situation because I can't figure it out. Still not sure what to do with zone 1.

Wednesday, July 25th 2012, 1:19pm

A multimeter would help but...
Assuming all valves are same:
Go to a zone that works fine (5?).
Take that solenoid to zone 3 and install.
Test. If that worked it was your solenoid.
If not, possibly wiring.

Or make a cheap solenoid tester . Real, real simple.
Test solenoid that way.

Point is, before you replace valves you should eliminate solenoids and wiring.

Rate this thread