You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hidronet

Starting Member

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 11:37pm

Why Class 200 for laterals ?

I´m starting as irrigation contractor in South America. I'm aware that most literature advice to use Class 200 PVC for laterals. I would like to know why is this, since PVC pipe pressure rating already include an important security factor. Pipe manufacturers claim that you should not use a pipe rated more than 25% over design pressure values. So, if most of sprinkler systems have design pressures of 50-60 psi, why should we use Class 200 pipe ? Thanks a lot !

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 12:53am

the pressure rating of pipe is one thing - its physical strength is another - irrigation pipe buried underground usually fails from forces outside the pipe - if the pipe is thin enough, the material itself might all but disintegrate if exposed to sunlight - and PVC always grows more brittle with age - brittle and thin is worse than brittle and thick

given a location near the equator, you would take special care with above-ground PVC - look at pipe and fittings classed as PVC-R

Rate this thread