You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 12:10am

Can Rain Bird 8si Operate 2 valves at the Same Time?

Hi All -

I have a Rain Bird 8si controller - currently only 7 zones in use. I am splicing into zone ONE (8 heads) after the manifold to run 5 additional bubblers in a garden.

Can I wire this thing so that zone 1 continues to operate as it does now, and a new zone 8 for the bubblers will operate the original zone ONE valve at the manifold and the new zone EIGHT valve after the splice?

I realize that for the new zone EIGHT the zone ONE valve at the manifold will also need to be open - so this probably won't work.

Opinions welcome, however!

Thank You!!

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 1:01am

OK - thinking about this - maybe a better (or additional) question would be:

Can I operate the same valve from 2 different zones? In other words, can I run a wire frone Zone ONE on the controller to Valve ONE and a wire from Zone EIGHT on the controller to valve ONE? Or will the current back feed to the controller and fry it?

Thanks again!!

mrfixit

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 1:18am

I'm not sure why you need to do this? Can you run valve 1 on program A then a second time on program B?
--
To answer your question though. Yes you can....

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 1:52am

Thanks for the reply -

I never even thought of program A & B. I bought this house w/ the system in place - took me awhile to figure out the controller which isn't terribly intuitive. Seems to me though - since I'll be installing valves on the lateral lines after the manifold, that it'll have to open two valves at the same time to accomplish what I want it to. Per your response, it's capable of doing that - so thanks again!

Al

mrfixit

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 3:02am

One way to find out. =)
Should work.
--
Just make sure you can run that many sprinkler at once... Turn two valves on manually at the same time and see what happens.

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 4:03am

I don't think I explained my idea well enough, so I'll add a drawing.

I'm working on zone one only, and have an unused zone available on the controller, and a spare wire available at both the controller and the manifold.

I want to isolate the new heads and have them be zone 8, w/o running a pipe back to the manifold.

In my scenario, I wire zone one and zone 8 to both open valve #1, which is in the manifold.

For zone 1 to continue to flow the same heads as it does now, the controller would open valve 1 and valve 8. Valve 8 would be wired to zone 1.

For the new zone 8 to flow, valve 1 and valve 9 would be open, and valve 9 would be wired to the available zone 8 on the controller.

So....

Zone 1 flowing - valve 1 and valve 8 open. Valve 9 closed.

Zone 8 flowing - valve 1 and valve 9 open. Valve 8 closed.

Thw wires to the two new valves would be a separate run - easily accomplished. I have an extra wire in the harness from the controller to the manifold to operate valve 1 using the zone 8 slot, which is currently unused.

I hope this makes sense. And thanks again for looking.

Al

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 8:17am

If you intend to split a zone by adding two more zone valves in the field, the original zone valve gets connected to the Master Valve terminal of the controller.

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 11:20am

If you intend to split a zone by adding two more zone valves in the field, the original zone valve gets connected to the Master Valve terminal of the controller.
Thanks for the reply - I think I understand.

So in my case, I would move the wire from zone 1 at the controller to MV. I assume this valve would be open when the program is running and closed when not running.

I would then wire valve 8 to zone 1 and valve 9 to zone 8?

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 1:57pm

you got it - some controllers have the ability to assign the master valve to operate only when specific zones are activated

Big Al

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 4:55pm

Thank you for the help! Now back to digging :(

Rate this thread