You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

millsu2

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 8:18pm

Pipe identification and connecting it to Sch. 40 PVC

I went to connect my system to the cities pressurized irrigation and found that the pipe they stubbed out from the valve for me to connect to just barely doesn't fit a sch.40 fitting. Does anyone know what kind of pipe it may be? It looks like flexible PVC with a purple outer coating and there is a metal insert in the end that extends 2-3" into the pipe. I don't know what the insert is for, but I'm wondering if it is just flexible PVC and this insert has slightly enlarged the pipe.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 10:01pm

It may be PEX tubing

millsu2

Unregistered

Friday, August 10th 2012, 11:10pm

It turns out it was IPS. Thanks for the help!x

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 11th 2012, 8:40am

IPS is a term that could also describe sch 40 PVC. If there is a removable metal insert in the end of the purple pipe/tubing, that is an indication of expecting the use of a "waterworks" compression fitting.

If the pipe/tubing doesn't fit with sch 40 PVC, then it is most likely a CTS (copper tube size) product.

Rate this thread